wow, does it ever feel like to you that you are your husband's mother?!

Like reminding him to do things he ALREADY knows needs to be done. Like brushing teeth, I'm not kidding. How can I end this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes I can feel that way sometimes and I have been making a conscious effort to just stop. I have more than enough to do and two actual children to take care of. If he can't be bothered to remember on his own to pick up his clothes from the floor and put them in the hamper, they don't get washed. If he doesn't brush his teeth, he doesn't get french kissed. If he doesn't grab the money for tool payments I leave on the counter, he can come home and get it. I am pretty much done reminding him of most things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thankfully I do not have to remind my husband to brush his teeth or shower. He is Mr Clean and takes good care of himself in that way. However, yes, I do feel like his mom in other ways. He is a slob and does not pick up after himself, he loses things constantly, he is terribly disorganized and can be very impulsive. I am actually totally convinced that he has ADD, but has never been diagnosed, so I try to just be patient and deal with it, after all we have been married almost 11 years, so I am used to it. But it does get really irritating sometimes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No because he does what he has to and I do what I have to do.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My ex-hub needed and wanted a mother, not a wife. He wanted me to pick out his clothes for him and lay them out each day. He never picked up after himself. He is now living with a woman who is 15 years his senior and does lay out his clothes for him and make all his decision for him. Guess he is happy now.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 10:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yep it has gotten better since he went on meds for adhd though....I would sometimes want to strangle him :)
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 11:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Just leave him alone. Eventually he'll figure it out.
    Wait? Adults can have adhd?
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yes marine_wife0520, adults can have adhd

Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Yes- in many ways but not brushing his teeth. Although he won't floss and doesn't brush his teeth for very long and I have coached him on washing his hands because the hand-drying towels were dirty because he wasn't cleaning them enough. He has basic hygeine down but I guess not to my standards. He works hard but doesn't take initiative.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2010