Picky Eater at 10 Months Old? Help!

My daughter is just know able to have baby food. And she won't eat any of it! We have tried Peas, Carrots, Sweet Potato, and Squash, Each time she will make her self gag until she vomits. She loves baby oatmeal, but won't eat any of the others. I don't want to giver her any thing sweet such as apples, bananas, pears, ect. Because I don't want her to get a "sweet tooth". Any suggestions?

Cynthia721

Asked by Cynthia721 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fruit giving them a "sweet tooth" is an old wives tale - try it and see if she likes it. Also, jarred baby food doesn't taste good. Make your own and give her that - sweet potatoes are really easy to cook, mash and thin with formula, breast milk, or water.

Answer by missanc at 10:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My first daughter didn't like any vegetables at first either, I was determined not to give her fruits because I was afraid of the sweet tooth thing too. One I just broke down and put some fruit in with her oatmeal (she wouldn't eat rice or barley) and she loved it. After that she was opened to vegetables and now at 3 she loves both fruits and vegetables. Also she just might not like the texture of the baby food. You could try just making your own by steaming or boilng vegetables then mashing them. My 6 month old is not much for baby food, but loves mashed potatoes and soft carrots. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I agree with PP have you taken a taste of baby food? YUCK! Makes some mashed sweet potatoes and see what happens? You can start with fruit, it won't impact the later choices,, try some bannana in the oatmeal. I pureed almost any veggie we had for dinner and gave it to DS!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I hope your baby is breastfeeding! A baby needs to be eating food way before 10 months. A breastfed baby's brain growth will most likely be ok. You need to supplement formula with food for brain growth! If babies aren't started eating certain foods between 6 months and a year then there may be long-lasting dietary issues.

Banana is recommended as baby's first food. Fork mash and let the baby feed itself. You don't need to worry about a "sweet tooth". I don't know where you got that from. You need to worry about brain growth, not creating a picky eater, not ending up with a baby that has failure to thrive, anemia, and other health problems.

http://www.kellymom.com/ has info on starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• at 10 months I wasnt trying to introduce new baby foods, but was trying to introduce new soft table foods to my son. He loves his bananas he knows what they are and wants them when we pick them up at the store he wants to hold on to them. Try some yogurt my son loves that and its a great start too the kind without chuncks you can work up the the chucnks if they like it, my son wont eat it but alot say theirs love cottage cheese. You can give dariy foods but not milk. The only way I can get my son to eat green beans or anything green is put a little cheese on it he loves cheese. Everything has to be really really really small peices to start or even mashed up, Once they get used to the new flavors then start making the pieces a little bigger until they are just little chunks. Real food is where you need to go since they hate baby food. My son at this age wouldnt eat baby food anymore at all even his favorites from it.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010