How can I convince my husband to let our son rear face again?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Control issue? Been there, done that... he's not likely to act out with other people around, is he? If not, then simply take control of the carseat, and do it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• You didn't say how old your kiddo is? Maybe DH feels more comfortable able to see him?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• We don"t have a car so usually we are sitting right next to him anyway but my son will be two on May 12th.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• If you feel better having him sit rear facing you DH should respect that and just do it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• There is information available that tells how rear facing is better and safer for a child. So gather the information and share. Also you can do a safety check at any fire station or police station at any time for the car seat. Just call ahead to schedule and then while you have them on the phone ask their position about continued rear facing for as long as possible. Have them explain it to your husband. Sometimes hearing it from a recognized authority is better. Especially those who have been first hand at crash sites.  If we have a second child I promise to do rear facing for as long as humanly possible.  As it is now my three year old will get strapped into his car seat and booster chair with a five point harness for as long as possible.  I don't care how convenient the other way is....he is getting the harness for as long as he fits in his chair.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thank you frogdawq. I am actually a certifeid technician myself and he still won't listen to me.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Why do you have to convince him of anything? Just do it.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I must be mean...I would just turn the carseat around. And if he dared say a word, I would snap and inform him that my son's safety is WAY more important than his feelings about it. Tell him you are the damn expert on it and what you say about carseats goes. When he becomes an expert on something, then, he can have his say. Until then, zip it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I would just do it, he can just suck it up! LOL, but I have a hubby that knows I'm big on research so he dosn't fight me on this kind of stuff
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I would think that your sons safety is WAYYY more important than your husbands feelings or weather or not he's going to throw a fit and be mad at you about it. Its not that hard to strap a carseat in rear facing, nor is it hard to remove the child that way... Its not a big deal.

If he complains just flat out say, if we get in to an accident and our son dies from forward facing- can you live with that? no, then zip it...

Dont let him be controlling... I absolutely HATE it when women are "afraid" to stand up for something they believe in because a man has his panties in a knot over it... Not saying this is your situation- I dont know enough to be able to assume that, just saying lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2010