Does your public school spy on your kids in your home?

PHILADELPHIA – A suburban Philadelphia school district snapped secret webcam pictures of a high school student when he was partially undressed or sleeping in his bed, and captured instant messages he exchanged with friends, the student charged in court papers this week.

The Lower Merion School District concedes its efforts to find missing school-issued laptops was misguided, and officials vowed anew Friday to release the findings of their internal investigation, "good and bad."

The LANrev software program took screen shots and webcam photos every 15 seconds when activated. The district thereby captured over 400 screen shots and webcam images of Harriton High School sophomore Blake Robbins, according to court filings this week in his lawsuit.

The school took thousands of pictures of the kids. Should they be prosecuted?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• If they didn't disclose this to the parents and students then I think they should be prosecuted.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• As long as those pictures were only to identify those who STOLE the laptops, no I don't believe they should be charged....considering it could have been anyone...adult or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Anon :44, the laptop in question was never reported stolen. The pictures are of the student who was assigned the lap top. The school CLAIMED they only used it to find stolen lap tops, when if fact they reprimanded the boy at school for things he did in his own home.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• From the article:

"Thousands of webcam pictures and screen shots have been taken of numerous other students in their homes, many of which never reported their laptops lost or missing," Haltzman wrote in a motion filed Thursday.

They were spying on many students, not just one.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It seems to me as if the school was indeed spying. The information points in that direction. I think it is terrible and boy oh boy...they better be glad my kid isn't involved. I would take Miss IT's fifth and choke her with it!! Kidding of course :) I'm just not the sort of Mom to tangle with though!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• wrong, wrong and more wrong! I smell a big fat lawsuit!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I hope the sue the crap out of the school and prosecute everyone involved.  This is so wrong.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• This is ABSOLUTLY wrong. They are spying INSIDE peoples homes and photographing without consent, MINORS. If its a school the people borrowing these laptops would all be minors. I hope they sue the crap out of this school!

It seems im reminded daily- all the reasons I am glad to be a homeschooling mother.
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 11:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2010