how many times a wk do you go out to eat of you and your family what do you usally spend?

my husband and i have a problem of going out to eat all the time like one or two times a wk with our 2 children our bill ranges from 20-30 a time. i know this is wrong and we really can not afford it. by doing this our food at home is very little. how do we stop going out to eat and making meals at home . it just seems so easy to go out to eat and every thing is done. but going out to eat like this takes away from us paying our phone bill and buying food for the house. i and hubby have a big problem here. do any of you do the same thing as i do. help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• you all have to be on bored, or it isn't going to work. We are the same way and the husband has the hardest time cutting out the fast food/eating out.
    Plan your meals ahead and buy for those meals ahead of time. You can actually prepare reall inexpensive things at home like different types of pastas, making garlic bread from sandwhich bread (really good recipie if your interested) and for lunches each sandwhiches, for breakfasts, cereal, eggs, pancakes...inexpensive things like that. Buy fruits and veggies that you will eat so none go to waste. Canned fruits and veggies are better than buying fresh and having them go to waste.
    Make homemade cookie dough and freeze it in raw dough balls that way you can have fresh cookies whenever you guys want! Make cupcakes as well and freeze those in a gallon plastic bag....pop how many out that you want and defrost and then frost for a quick dessert!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• sorry "on BOARD" lol not bored lol hehe
    The planning ahead helps so your not at the end of the day wondering what everyone wants to eat and trying to cook off the fly of things....I get discouraged this way and usually give in to eating out! lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• We used to do that too. When we did a budget and realized how freakin' broke we were we stopped immediately. Do a budget, see what you CAN spend on eating out per month, and plan meals a week in advance.

We now go out to eat about once every other month and spend about $20 for the three of us.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Several things:
    1. Start keeping track of how much you are spending in a month. Once you actually see that number, you'll freak out.
    2. Plan a weekly menu. Write it down on a calendar. Then, every night, you know exactly what you're going to haev, so there's no worrying about it.
    3. Set aside a certain amount of cash that you use for eating out. THAT'S ALL YOU GET! Once you run out of it, no more until next week.
    4. Start making a game to see how cheap you can eat out using coupons and kids eat free nights. We go to Long John's Silver and get enough for 3 people for $11.

Weused to go out to eat 2-3 times a week and we were spending about $250 a month. That's ridiculous. We've cut it down to about once a week for about $20/week if that. We could still afford to cut down more.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Um. Wow. We go out to eat maybe once a month, if we're lucky. All I can say is good luck breaking the habit, I have no real advice because I've never been in your shoes, even as a child. My mom always cooked, and it's been ingrained in me. I like to cook, I always have well-stocked cupboards, and I have no problem throwing things together (meaning, I don't need to follow recipes or anything, meals just come to me).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• maybe once every 6 months lol luckily I'm a good cook.... and I enjoy cooking.... plus we are trying to save money
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I agree with Sherripie
    but I would add more thing.. make sure you have your menu and grocery list done before payday.. as soon as you can after getting paid, pay your bills and go grocery shopping. be sure to include several easy meals for night we don't feel like cooking. that way you won't waste your bill and grocery money by eating out with it.
    keep you receipts when you eat out or get a little note book to put in your purse and right down everything your spending on eatting out , this includes 1 liter drinks and snacks you may pick up when you get gasoline.. I am sure you and you dh will shocked at how much you are actually spending
    Anonymous

• Make a budget and follow it. Whatever is left AFTER you take care of ALL necessties is yours to spend as you choose. My husband and I go out to eat 1 or 2 time a week. Usually we spend under $10 when we go to 1 place and then when we go to Applebees we spend about $35. As a family we get pizza or Chinese 2-3 times a month and that's about $20-$30 each time. However, going out to eat takes nothing from groceries or bills. I do a budget which includes everything we have to take care of and those things INCLUDE groceries, gas for the car and pet food. Whatever money is left after we pay the mortgage, utility bills, car payment, car insurance, credit card bills, cell phone bill & U-Verse bill and after we buy groceries, pet food, add money to savings & put gas in the car is ours. It's usually $300-$400 a paycheck that's free and clear. So, for us eating out or going to see a movie 2-3 times a month is not hurting us.
    Anonymous

• We go out usually 2-3 times a week as well. But if we do it is like McDonalds and we do dollar deals, LOL. What can I say? I'm cheap! :-) Also, it is just the two of us and one 2 y.o
    Anonymous

• I keep some really "quick" meals on hand for the nights that I don't feel like cooking what I had planned on when I did my grocery shopping. Like a bag of frozen chicken fingers, some frozen sweet potato fries and a can of baby peas. The nights we do this we'll eat on paper plates - so clean up is very easy (2 cookie sheets, one small pot, and some cups and silverware). Also - there are other frozen options (lasagna and bread) that you can buy just to keep in the house for those nights where you don't feel like doing anything else.
    Make going out a special occasion. Plan for it and have it as something to look forward to!
    As for my family - we hunt for "specials" (2 for $20 deals, coupons for BOGO, or kids eat free) so when we do go out it's not THAT expensive.
    Anonymous