The Real Story of Americans' Immigration Views

Americans support legal immigration and oppose illegal immigration.

But another picture often emerges from the chattering class. Americans' opposition to illegal immigration is wrongly described as opposition to immigration itself.

Immigration is America's most contentious of unresolved issues. The public remains divided over aspects of the issue. They do, however, understand the issue. Yet all too often Americans' fairly sophisticated view of immigration is simplified. And that simplification tends to skew the facts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20100418/cm_rcp/the_real_story_of_americans039_immigration_views

I agree with this article. I support legal immigration. Do you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I do support LEGAL immigration. I have zero sympathy for illegal immigrants. I do not support amnesty for that. And I do see isra's point about the whole process, not surprised at all that there are so many scam lawyers. I do think that at this time we should try to LIMIT the number of immigrants that we allow, until our job situation improves. This probably is not a popular idea, but I don't think it is ethical to allow immigrants in to take the jobs that are available, when we have so many people who are unemployed.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Legal Immigration ALL THE WAY.. YES...I SUPPORT those who come here legally 110%!!!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I support LIMITED legal immigration. You should not be coming here without prospects, otherwise you will be an additional burden to our overburdened system. IMO, the US cannot simply throw open her doors anymore. We are running out of space and resources are limited.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I have many family members who immigrated here legally. Sure it's not easy, but it's the right thing to do.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I support immigration reform. The system needs to be 100% done over!
    I have been through it and still am going through it. Won't be done for atleast another 2 years!
    We have been scammed by lawyers, I wish the USCIS would help immigrants with lawyer recommendations because scam lawyers are very common and immigration lawyers are hard to find.
    We have gone to interviews and driven hours to the interview site, paid the lawyer $1000 and had them not have our folder so we wasted $1000 and a day of missing work for nothing.
    I am not saying there is any excuse to stay here legally ever, but I can see how some people get scammed and lose everything or get intimidated by the process.
    I do not think it needs to be easier, just more organized!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Yes I support legal immigration.I am big against illegal immigration.I am not at all for amnesty.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Youspecial does have a point too.Also,I do not have alot of respect for immigrants who come (even legally) and raise the county flag they left above the American flag and such ..why did they leave that country then?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• country*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• tnmomoffive- what is wrong with still having love for where you are from? In my husbands case, the stay here is temporary, we plan to move back to Palestine in a few years.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2010