Would you rather go back to school to get a masters degree or start your own business?

I am 28 years old. Have a bachelors (in something that I hate doing) but have never really worked. Been a SAHM for years. My kids are almost school age now and I am thinking of going back to school online to get a masters degree in something that i care about (healthcare). People with a masters degree in healthcare are more marketable and do earn significantly more.

My DH thinks its a waste of time and would rather have us get a loan and start our own business. He says you can never have financial stability working for other people.

What do you guys think? With a masters degree, I could make make enough money to the point where we dont need a loan to start a business. We could save and then start a business while still working, just in case the business folds.

But then again, I dont want to waste time, energy and money on something I could have done without (the degree). I need advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• In this day and age, going back to school is rarely a waste of time and money. Grants and scholarships make it so we barely have to pay out of pocket for college. In fact, my sister joked once that she was considering quitting her job and working on her PhD, because she made more money (with leftover grant money) while getting her first degree than she does now! Self-paced online classes let dedicated students finish in half the time it would normally take too.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 11:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Get the MASTERS DEGREE!!
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I have my own business and I am going to go back to school for an MBA

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2010