What age is okay to remove the training wheels out the bike and start teaching to ride without training wheels?

Alan is 4 and 6 months old now. This weekend we removed the training wheels from his bike and he tried to ride it. Obviously, he held his bike for balance and run next to him. After a brief moment my husband was still running with him but Alan was actually balancing it by himself. However, after like 1 more minute he lost balance and felt down. Although he is okay, he is afraid of riding the bike without the training wheels. What age is appropiate to do this? Thank you in advance.

CACHARRA

Asked by CACHARRA at 11:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When he is ready...it isn't an age thing. Some can ride at 4, some can't do it until 7 or 8. I believe the majority of kids start around age 6. My son did. I was around 8.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• We tried at 4 and a half, put them back on and just last week at 5 and a half, he can now ride the bike,,, I found something really cool, they now have a bike that has no pedals,, it is called a balance bike, it gets them ready for a bike and helps them with balance, our neighbor just got one for their 3 year old, if I would have known about it I would have bought one last year!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• my dad took the training wheels off my daughters bike when she was 4.5yrs old..she was a pro within 20 minutes..

maybe try getting him to ride on grass..its a lil harder to actually ride on, but if he falls, it wont hurt as much..i dont recommend putting the training wheels back on his back..because it could take a long time to try and convince him to take them off again..just explain that falling is part of learning..tell him stories of when you learned to ride, and how you fell..(make one up if ya have to) goooood luck!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• there is no age, you remove them when they are ready. Did he ask for them to be removed? Why did your dh let go after the first lesson?
    Anonymous

• When the child is ready. Anywhere between 4 and 6 years old. I learned when I was 4 but my son didn't learn until he was almost 7.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I was told when he he's too big for the bike he has now , he'll be ready for the bike next size up. Mine started at age 6. but he wasn't very good with his balance either. do what we did with mine start him start him by teaching him how to hold his balance on the bike. then have him practice on the grass, then take him to a basketball court , maybe the area won't look as big. then take him to a parking lot. it's a bigger area to ride his bike. then when he's comfortable with that he can ride at home by himself, just tell him to becareful with the cars.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I completely agree with BradenIsMySon......it's not an age thing like a lot of other areas. My oldest (now 8) has been riding without training wheels since he was around 3 1/2. My other son, who will be 4 in July has NO INTEREST in even riding a bike, let alone without training wheels! He has a "diego bike"(like a 'big wheel') and won't put his feet on the pedals, he'd rather use his feet and scoot down the road.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• When they are ready.... My DD is 8yrs old and still rides with her training wheels. She has a bike w/o but wont ride it . Tells me that she is afraid of falling off.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010