Seriously backed up toilet and can't afford a plumber. What do I do?

I've been trying to plunge this toilet for DAYS now. It's not working. My husband tried and it didn't work. Now it's backing up my only functioning toilet and I NEED a working toilet in my house (obviously).

We can't afford to call a plumber. Not even if they do it for $10 lol. We BARELY scrape by on our income and seriously have ZERO extra dollars. If I pay a plumber we don't eat, that's how close it is.

What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Could something be stuck in the bend? Once that happened to us and my dh put his hand in as far is it would go and felt something. He couldn't pull it out, so he bent a metal coathanger with a hook on the end and fished out a large foam zero. It turns out that our child had fun flushing his toys.
    I would give that a try. Also at Lowes they sell a pressure auger that shoots a blast of air that should clear anything in the line.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• well if plunging it wont work and its backing up the other toliet its probably a septic tank problem in which you HAVE to call a plumber..sorry. but have you tried bleach? or rid-ex?(i think thats what its called.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• OP here

We have sewer, it's not septic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Don't put chemicals in the toilet! It won't work and it could hurt someone.

You have to have plumbing. You may need to buy a better plunger or a plumbing snake. Sometimes I don't eat when I have to buy something. That's life when you don't have enough money.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Okay do you have a toilet snake? Have hubby call and borrow one from somebody,,, I was clueless they made such a thing,,but it worked amazing. The only thing else is if you have a septic system,, it could be something other than a clogged toilet,, they cost about $10 at the hardwear store, get the longest one you can! If not try Craigs List, perhaps someone would be willing to take a post-dated check, a regualar plumber is going to be around $100!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• OP here

Gailll, I would totally go without food except that I'm pregnant lol. It's not life for us, I'd rather crap in a coffee can until we save up enough money to pay a plumber :p

SleepingBeautee, no one is going to put a hand in this toilet. It looks like puke water, only it's not puke, it's poop. It's seriously gross.

We'll try a pipesnake. I bet I can find a few bucks in the budget for it. Hopefully someone has an awesome sale going on this week lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My dad is a plumber and says it most likely needs to be snaked and without doing that it wont be fixed.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• You can have sewer and still have septic problems. My parents have had their toilet back up into their bathroom 4 times in less than a month - it's a sewer issue, yet they're still going to have to dig up their septic if it keeps happening. You'll have to make arrangements to make payments, and cut back elsewhere, or sell some stuff. But if you don't have a functioning toilet, you can get in trouble with CPS if anyone turns you in for it. We ONLY have ONE toilet, and zero extra money, but if we had a problem, I wouldn't hesitate to call a professional - there's always some way to make the money side work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Then don't pay a bill and pay a plumber. Just for future reference, don't poop in a clogged toilet.

On a side note... If you are that tight on your budget, you should qualify for some kind of PA. You should go to your local department of human services and see about applying.

Good luck!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I needs a snake or cutter ran thru it. You have something in the main line. Soon your sinks will stop draining too. You are going to have to call someone. Is there something you can pawn or sell? Can you borrow $100 from a family member? You could always go to a food bank to get food, but running water is a must.
    Anonymous