Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We can finally get married! How do I go about doing that?

Long story short....
Fiance's wife left without notice less than month into marriage. Filed for divorce and left it to JAG (not big priority for them). Months later we met and became best friend's. A few months later, well, you can't help who you fall in love with, can you? Right before he left for Iraq, "suprise, we're pregnant!" He came back, decided to get civilian lawyer. Two hearings later (and nearly THREE YEARS after she left), lawyer FINALLY convinced judge we have NO IDEA WHERE SHE IS, and judge signed divorce decree without ex. Here in Texas, we must wait 30 days to get married (in this state, that is). 26 DAYS AND COUNTING!

We have decided to do a simple JP ceremony at the courthouse now, and do something bigger for family later on. What all do I need to do? Do I make an appointment? Can we get our application now, and hand it in in 26 days? Does the actual license come before or after the ceremony?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • the court house

    Answer by MamaK88 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • congrats! I'd just call the county clerk's office and ask what you need to do to get your liscense for your state. They're good for 30 days so you'll be fine. You get the liscense early or else you can't get married. Not sure if there's a difference if you're doing a JP ceremony but I'm pretty sure you still need the liscense. Its really easy to get and the CC's office should help you with any steps you need. You usually need to make an appointment to get married.

    Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Yeah you have to file for a marriage license and get blood work done. Go to the courthouse and get a marriage license then they will tell you what to do.

    Answer by nakoal87 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 11:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Pretty much you just have to show up at the court house with your birth cert. and a drivers license. You might want to call ahead though and find out about the JP's scedule. Most of the time they are always there. Most licenses are good for 30 days and after that you have to apply for a new one.

    Answer by colorsofgrey at 4:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.