Can the OB be wrong about due date????

I've been told that Im 35 weeks pregnant but the ultrasound is showing that Im 37 and 3 days. I have been have strong contractions as well but no dilating!!!

RobinE8

Asked by RobinE8 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is possible to be wrong on a due date, but they're just guesstimates anyhow. However, ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate at guesstimating due dates, especially this late in a pregnancy. Just sit tight, you still have several weeks to go.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Due dates can be off by two weeks in either direction. They're just estimates based on a LMP and a cycle of 28 days. If your cycle is NOT 28 days, that throws things off. The due date is just the average.
    Anonymous

• Well doctors aren't perfect, of course they can be wrong but the ultra sound goes by the babies size not conception date so IF the doctor is right your baby may just be bigger than what they say a 35 week old baby usually is. Also like pp said they go by a 28 day cycle so if yours is different it will change things.But most of it is all just estimations. That is why babies almost never come on their exact due date.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Due dates are just guesses.

Due dates are determined 2 ways.

The first and most traditional way is to go by your LMP (last mentrual period). The problem with this is that is assumes that all women have 28 day cycles and that all women ovulate on the 14th day of the cycle. This is VERY UNTRUE. Women have cycles of all lengths and ovulate anywhere from the 9th day of the cycle to the 40th depending on how long their cycle is. Myself for example had 45 day cycles. I ovualted on the 20th day of my cycle. The due date my doctor gave me was IMPOSSIBLE because I had not yet ovualted and since I knew exactly which day I ovulated from practicing FAM I knew that I was acutally not due until 2 weeks later.

The second way is with ultra sounds. The problem with ultra sounds is that they can be off by 2 weeks either side of the due date and the farther along you are the less accurate the ultra sound is.

continued below...
    Anonymous

• If you do not know exactly when you ovulated and you had an ultra sound in the first trimester you should go with the original date you were given because ultra sounds at this point are VERY VERY VERY inaccurate when it comes to judging due dates and even weight.

Bottom line. Wait until your baby is ready. At this point they wouldn't stop your labor anyway so it doesn't really matter what your due date is. Baby's come when they're ready.
    Anonymous

• They can be wrong. It is just an estimate. Baby's come when they are ready, there is no fool proof way of predicting when a baby will come. The baby's decide. The Dr usually goes off your last period and if your period isn't too regular then the guess can be off up to 2 weeks. My periods were always irregular. My 1st came a week before her due date and my last 2 kids came 4 weeks before their due date. The ultrasounds on all 3 always showed they were smaller than what they should have been for as many weeks as I was. Hang in there your baby will be here beofre you know, just enjoy the last few weeks. I miss being pregnant lol. My friend is due July 4 and she's tired of being pregnant too. I tell her to hang in there.
    Anonymous