Potty Training Question

Its been harder than I anticipated to get my daughter potty trained. However I hate how everyone seems to talk shit the fact that my daughter being such a bright girl so its not so much her but my fault. People fail to understand I have tried to train her numerous times but she isn't as prepared as she seems at times.

Question: What method do you reccomend? I can tell she is ready I just haven't found the right method. What did you use? Did it work? How long did the training process take?

GutierrezBeauty

Asked by GutierrezBeauty at 12:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well with my son i did a few things. at first i bought him big boy underwear with characters on them that he loves. i also bought pull ups, i had him wear the underwear over the pull ups and i would tell him that he couldnt get that character wet or poopie cause they didnt like it. that didnt really work well for me. i also had him sit on the potty every 20 mins weather he went potty or not i still told him good job and if he didnt go i would still say good job and we will try again later. i never pushed him to go cause with me working in the "potty training" room in my day care i know better than to push them when they are not ready. that worked great for the pottying but it did not allow him to realize when he had to go. so after that we had a "ceremony" for his pull ups and diapers. we told him they were for babies and babies cant do all the cool things he does as a big boy. then he started wearing underwear and would wear
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• a pull up only on naps and bed time. then i was in the hospital giving birth to my daughter, and my mom and sister let him take naps and sleep at night with out a pull up and he did great. he was already completely potty and poopie trained before i had my daughter i was just putting him in pull ups at night and during naps just in case. and he never wet himself, and every morning we would have a routine as soon as he would get up we would go to the bathroom he would take off his pull up and he would go pee. it was marvelous. he did such a great job. good luck with your child and dont stress it too much. just remember never get upset at your child when they wet or poop there pants they are still learning and desperately want there parents approval and praise for everything they do. good luck
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I only used underwear, no pull-ups. I set aside a week that I had nowehere to go and nothing to do. I told him that he was a big boy and ready to learn to use the big boy potty and not use his diapers like a baby does. I took him by the hand and said, Let's see if you can go potty. I had him sit for a bit and try. I took him every 15 minutes at first...then, when I saw him at least getting the hang of it, I bumped it up to 30 minutes and kept bumping it up by 15 minutes until he had it. After about 3 days, he was going himself. He was having no accidents. I let him run around in underwear only for the duration of training. By the end of the week, he was pretty much trained...he only had maybe an accident or two afterwards. And if he drank too late at night or was WAY tired, he would pee the bed. But, he was done with training.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2010