My internal Debate..

My husband & I have an appointment tomorrow @ a fertility clinic. We are interested in both egg donation & surrogacy. The idea of being able to fill someones void- I couldnt imagine what Id do w/ my life if I was able to conceive on my own. My husband & I are young & have an 8m old son. If we got chosen for egg donation or surrogacy the $$ aspect could really help us..
My debate. One of my sister's family members & his wife cannot have ANOTHER child. His wife has a blod clotting disorder & does not hold folic acid- which has caused her to have NUMEROUS miscarriages. They have one son- but really want another child. They have seen several fertility specialists & they have been told their options are surrogacy or adoption. They make decent money- but both cost ALOT.
Do I do it, for free? For less that I would make with an agency?
They already have one, would it be better to do it for someone who doesnt have any kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Health

• I really don't have any advice for you, but I think it's awesome that you're doing this! Whichever way you decide, you are giving the most precious gift ever! We need more people like you out in the world!!
    Anonymous

• I personally couldnt do that for someone I knew. Every single parenting choice they made for the rest of that babies life I would question...... is it what I would do. Every time I looked at that child I would see myself.

It maybe VERY selfish of me... but I couldnt do it.
    Anonymous

• I had looked into surrogacy... Yes, the money would REALLY help, and I love being pregnant... But I know with my children, I loved them from the moment I had 2 lines on a test. I bonded with them... If I were to be a surrogate for someone I knew it would feel (to me) like I was watching someone raise MY kid. I figured out that I'm too selfish for adoption and the only difference between the two is the DNA. I dont think I could carry a child full term and then just hand them over... but thats just my personal opinion.

If you feel like you can overcome those maternal feelings to a child thats not YOURS, then go for it.
    Anonymous

• The difference between egg donation and surrogacy is that if you are a surrogate, the child will have NONE of your DNA. The child will not be biologically "yours" in any way.

While I might not charge them the money that a fertility clinic might, I would still request they pay medical care and some expenses. After all, you have to consider maternity clothes, food, leave from work, things like that.
    ma23

Answer by ma23 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2010