What can I do to stop my baby from crying?

I have a 5 week old..and recently he has been very fussy. He is always wanting to eat...that is the only way I can stop him from crying, but he will eat 5-7 oz and then spit a bunch up. I think he spits up because he ate too much...but it's the only thing that calms him. At first a pacifier was working but now he hates it. And he will not go to sleep unless he is sleeping on your chest. Any ideas??? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy a sling. That way you can hold him close and he is reassured because you are near. Also you can wrap him in it so he is upright and it will help his tummy. If he is upright he is more likely to burp up any trapped air.
    I love my ring sling, but there are many brands out there for you to fint the one you like.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• try a different pacifier try the mum brand my daugter loves it. Maybe a noise like a fan on while he is sleeping might help.
    Anna5250

Answer by Anna5250 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• is he on formula? It could be that the type of formula he is on is giving him gas. I would try mylocon (sp), and also have you tried swaddling him? And if your to the point were you just need a break, feed, burp, change, swaddle, put him in a swing or cradel (something that will move back and forth) and try turning the vacume on... my last son had colic and would scream, no matter what...till you turned the vacumme on... then it was lights out!!
    Anonymous

• My son was fussy like that at 5 weeks too. I exclusively BF him, but he was still gassy and really fussy. He would cry a lot. Here is what I did and it worked wonders...

Mylicon drops before feedings.
    Gripes Water Baby Bliss during the day if he was fussy.
    Baby Swing during the day
    Try getting a different pacifier, he may not like the one you are offering.

Lastly, if you are comfortable with this, it will more than likely solve all your problems. Put him to sleep on his tummy. Make sure you are supervising him. My son would only sleep on my chest, then I put him on his tummy one day and he slept for 6 hours that night.

I hope this helps! :)
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It sounds like he is either eating too much and/or the formula. My youngest was around the same age when he started to show his dairy intolerance (he was ebf, but it shows in the same way )

. Call your ped tomorrow morning and leave a message or speak with a nurse. Sometimes switching to a soy formula will help, especially if the gas drops do not. Swaddling and a sling are great suggestions and will help you do things with your hands.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Sounds like colic. It will pass in a few months.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2010