If the laws surrounding the illegilization of same sex or plural marriages were ever repealed on the grounds that they are a violation of the separation of Church & State, would you support the change - even if you don't fit in to those categories yourself.

Seeing as how the laws which stop same sex and plural marriages are all based off of religious beliefs and not an actual legal need for these limitations they could be labeled as unconstitutional and a number of groups are trying to see this line of legal jargin as a way to have laws changed.

My question is that even if your religious beliefs do not agree with these way's of life, could you support the constitutional rights of others to have a separation of church and state on the matter?

**And before this gets brought up, Plural marriage CAN mean more than one wife. However it CAN also me more than one husband or a combination of the two... And it assumes that everyone in the relationship is of legal age and legally consents (they are ALL on the paperwork - a man could not simply marry number 2 w/o number 1 knowing)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. Im neutral. But I see the contradiction you are making and its a great point.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I see it as a completely unconstitutional subject! I'm not gay, and my Dh would never go for a plural relationship. However, ANY law which is based solely on religious beliefs is by definition is in direct violation of the separation of Church and State. I have always supported both Gay and Plural marriages, if for no other reason than this one. I believe that if something does not cause harm, it should be legal. That is what freedom is. And this is one of MANY MANY subjects where the freedom of all is limited because of the religious beliefs of some...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'm all for it. I would love to have a wife.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yes
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I support completely the right for any consenting adult to marry any other (and however many) consenting adult(s) he/she chooses.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I would love to have 2 extra husbands! I support it!
    Anonymous

Are you out of your mind??? Think of the toilet scrubbing!!!!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Answered at 11:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 by: bandgeek521
    I support completely the right for any consenting adult to marry any other (and however many) consenting adult(s) he/she chooses.

Agree.^^^
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'm fine with appealing the ban on same sex marriage but plureal marriage I'm not so sure about. I just don't think it's very good for the kids and too often they are married under the age of eighteen.

And before this gets brought up, Plural marriage CAN mean more than one wife. However it CAN also me more than one husband or a combination of the two..

It can but never is.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Actually same sex was brought about by religious beliefs so yes that may happen and I completely agree with it being legal. However polygamy was illegalised because it was causing harm to people. It was causing way to many issues so no I would not support that one.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2010