My 9 month old is nursing CONSTANTLY. I think my nipples are going to fall off!! Please HELP!!!

Is this normal? If so how long does it last. My nipples hurt SO BAD. This has never happened before. He nursed NON-STOP all night.

And the only time he hasn't nursed this morning is when he was screaming his head off because I was on the toilet!!!

I'm going crazy and...did I mention my NIPPLES HURT!!!!!

ADVISE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that sounds like a growth spurt... is he eating any solids yet?
    if not you may want to offer something like massed bananas or avacadoes.
    Anonymous

• My neighbor is going through something similar. She mentioned her 9 month old is nursing a lot lately, I think its a growth spurt. You should introduce some solids to help you. Maybe some mashed sweet potato, bananas, etc... Go to the breastfeeding moms group, you will find a lot of help and support there. Good luck!
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• He is eating solids regularly. He eats solids 3 times a day plus snacks (he's a lot more interested in solids than my daughter ever was) but he's not interested in them. He throws them at me if I try. He just wants to nurse.

Thanks for the answers. Anything I can do about my nips?
    Anonymous

• hang in there mama!
    lanolin for the nipples, is all i have ever heard of. i had very clingy twins, and i used to take them shopping almost daily, just because they were distracted at the store and not wanting to bf. if i ever sat down at home, there they were...ready!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Is he actually eating when he's nursing all that time or is he just pacifying?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes when baby is fighting off a cold or other virus they refuse solids and nurse more to get as many antibodies as they can. They can also refuse solids and want to nurse more when they are teething, a growth spurt, or are just feeling extra clingy. Hang in there, this too shall pass!
    Try to get him to latch on deeper to save your nipples a bit. Also put some lansinoh on them.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• He may be teething, or as several other moms mentioned, growing. Try giving him the recommended dose of tylenol, rubbing some of it on his gums as you give him the dose. The sucking can help comfort the mouth pain of teething. If you are already sure he is getting plenty of solids, give that a shot.

My third guess would be gas, which can stimulate a sucking response as well for comfort. In that case there is gripe water and mylecon depending on your school of thought.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Just some info? what's your little one's weight, height and age together, in one sentence? While the growth spirt is most likely, I'd like to hear that the weight is ok with percentile type information. And how's the poops? Since I havent't heard you mention anything this is probably ok, but there's always this chance a dumb question might help.
    UrpGag

Answer by UrpGag at 11:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• OP...welcome to the nine month growth spurt. AND your period may be returning...that will impact supply AND hurt your nipples.
    LANSINOH remains your friend...slather it on.

Yes, this is ALL NORMAL.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It might be because he's just not getting any food. If a baby doesn't latch on proper then they won't get very much food. I would call your doctors or switch to formula for the night at least just so your baby can be full for a while, while you wait to talk to your doctor.
    shell1m

Answer by shell1m at 1:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2010