Coal Mining, Are you for it or against it?

I live in South Eastern Kentucky where coal mining is one of the biggest work industries around. There has been a lot controversy lately over what should be done about it? I was just wanting to see what people from other parts of the country thought about it.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Central KY.. Coal is a big industry and many families would be left with no income at all if it were shut down. Though it is a dangerous profession with big risk like black lung or the mine collapsing killing or trapping the minors inside it.. but I guess no more dangerous that being a fireman, police man, pilot , etc. I personally think they liberals and EPA are going after the coal industry for their ownagenda . shutting it down will cause taxes to be raised, electric and natural gas to sky high.. it will not make things better and certainly not for those families that rely it for the sole source income.

Anonymous

• BlainesMommy, my husband is from Eastern Kentucky, too. His father was a coal miner as was his father, uncle, etc... His family has also mined coal in Indiana and Ohio over the years.. I understand the importance the industry has on certain areas. I also understand the importance coal plays in keeping utility costs low for millionsof Americans. There IS more environmentally friend coal utilization/methods out there.  But the reality is no one wants to pay for them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am for it! I believe in using all of our natural resources...responsibly, of course! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Coal mine operators can be greedy as heck and men want to work.

Sometimes mining incidents will happen despite good efforts to prevent them.

It's cliche, but this is an imperfect world.

I hate when hard working, good men die.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I don't know a whole lot about the industry. I know that it is vitally important to a whole lot of people, and that coal is important to the country. I also know that it is very dangerous, as are a lot of other professions. But, I would think that it would be in the energy companies best interest to do whatever they could to make it as safe as possible. I don't think we should stop mining it, but we should do it better / more safely. I don't have any answers as to how to do that, but I'm sure that there are ways that it could be done, and that Americans have the minds to figure it out! I'm in OH, btw.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My city's power plant is run completely on coal. The current adminstration hates our plant and wants it taxed out of existence. They point to the wind farm 100 miles east of us and say we should go to wind power. Right now the wind to electricity coversion is so inefficient it wouldn't work. That technology needs to improve significantly first.
    I think more effort should be put into developing clean coal tech. We have the largest coal reserves in the entire world. Let's learn to use them in efficient, clean ways.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am only against it because it is very dangerous for the miners, and horrible for the environment. It sucks because I love coal. It works very well. I wish there were a better way for them to do it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I also really wish coal was cleaner.

It really is environmentally messy.
    And our kids don't need more filth floating around, with the apparent rise in autism, ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, etc.,.
    It really would be nice if it could be made a cleaner resource to use.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My grandfather was a coal miner as was my great uncles, ect. We live here in Tennessee where coal mining at one time was the main industry until the workers went on strick and the place shut down. I brought great revenue to this area now this area is very poor because the mines have closed their doors.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am in southern West Virginia so YES! Coal mining is the way of life here. I support it 110%. If you aren't for coal mining then turn off your lights!!!!!!!!!!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 4:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2010