I have questions for RN's and LPN's...I'm thinking about going to school in this field and need a little advise.

Hi, I'm 33 years old and a SAHM...I was thinking about going to school to be a lpn or rn.I just wanted a little advise about the field.
1. 2 or 4 year program?...also how hard is it?

2. what to expect the first year or so working in a hospital etc...

3. What are your duties? just name some everyday things you have to do.I'm not good with alot of blood and gore so I could not be a ER Nurse...Would I be good as a "regular" nurse?

4.I was also thinking labor and delivery...I know theres blood..lol but I think I would be good with that...How much extra training for a specialty?

Any advise I will take...I'm just in the begining stages of thinking about this and just want to be sure it's the right desicion..or if I should maybe be a xray tech etc..or stick with a desk job in the medical field..lol

I appreciate any constructive advise...this is a big step for me and I'm nervous!!

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your duties in a hospital? Assess all of your patients (usually about 10)...take vitals, listen to heart/lungs/abdomen, check whatever they are "in for"....blood sugar and urine for diabetics, wound care for surgical patients, pain relief for surgical or cancer patients...chart everything. Make sure they are bathed, fed, beds changed (sometimes you do this, sometimes there are assistants to do most of it, but it's the nurse's responsibility to be sure it is done. Respond to patient needs/ requests/ emergencies. Pass medications/ do IVs. Fix the equipment (IV pump, call bell, ventilator, whatever....or know who to call to get it fixed)

After 3 years experience in Med Surg I went into Maternity, first high risk antepartum/postpartum and later L&D. I didn't like L&D as much, wayyyyy too much responsibility for me.....knowing how mom AND fetus are doing, knowing when to call the doc, knowing signs to watch for
    cont
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I went to a 2 year RN program and got my associates degree at a university, and then continued part time to get my BSN. It is definitely hard with a lot of information to learn, digest and be able to analyze. My college roommate studied all the time and got B+s, I hardly studied and came out with a B average. So, it's a lot about you too.

Good hospitals are going to have good training/mentoring programs. New grads are not expected to know everything, kind of like the residency program for doctors. You will shadow someone, help her at first, for maybe 1-3 months if you are lucky, then for the next ~3 months, you will be on your own, but your mentor will always be there to answer your questions. "They" say you should get basic med-surg experience first, before going into any specialty and I do agree with that. That part of your education is invaluable

cont
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• ha, friend me if you want and we'll chat. I loved working on the maternity floor, both ante and postpartum. I worked in High Risk OB, with diabetic moms, moms with cardiac or kidney disease, one or two with cancer, thyroid or cystic fibrosis. It was very interesting, very rewarding.

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• PS. join allnurses.com and you'll get ALL of your questions answered. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I went to a 4 year University right of HS, obtained my BSN at age 21 and have been working as an Nicu nurse for the last 30 years. Nursing is so flexible and offers so many types of employment that there is something that interests everyone. I've always worked in CA, where the salaries are very competitive- great career move.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2010