I know stupid question, but how come when someone ask me what i like to do or what I enjoy doing I don't have an answer. I've lived my whole 40 years doing and satisfying everyone else but myself.

Sorry, didn't know where to post this. Anyways, now my child is getting older and I'll have more free time but I'm at a lost. I do not enjoy being out in public I rather be home than deal with the outside world. I do work outside my home but only part time. I don't have money to go back to school or pay for classes. I don't have any money to buy anything only to pay bills. I've done library, parks, free museums, anything that can be free. Any advice. Please don't tell me I'm depress because that is not going to help me, I can't even affort to pay for counseling. Any advice or personal experience on what you've done to help yourself if you've ever felt this way? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It sounds like it's time to find your interests. First off you can probably get a grant to go back to school if that was a choice or you could take a free class. Our university offers free classes in their Continuing Education dept such as a cooking class or pottery or painting, etc. Just contact the local school and see what they offer. I'm not a big people person either so I don't go places where there are crowds but our classes are small. I like researching so I stay at home and research things of interest online. I did my genealogy and only used free sites or connected with people who had access to pay sites and they helped me out. You could also take a free aptitude test at the unemployment office and find out what field you'd be better suited in. That can tell you which interests to pursue even on a personal level. Just have fun with it. It's like a scavenger hunt to find all the treasures that make you unique.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I find that what I do for others very much satisfies me as a person, so this is how I have lived my life. When my kids no longer needed me as much I found other ways of finding others who could benefit from my years of living. I have found that the more I live the more there is to learn. I also used my free time to benefit my well being by changing my diet and every day excercise, touched up my appearance and it made all the difference in the world.

Answer by older at 3:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Perhaps you simply found joy in helping others that you love. Soemtimes when we become mommies, things get put on hold for a little while..nothing wrong with that.

Think back into your childhood. What did you like playing? You should continue to go to the library. Its a great opportunity to read about things you might find interesting first without blowing your money on just any hobbies first. You dont always have to come in second, you can incorporate your kids into the things you enjoy.

When I think back into my childhood, I remember playing barbies. Only I didnt play Barbie because I was so interested in decorating where she was going to live. Then after I designed her home, I wasnt interested in playing anymore. So...guess what I do now? I enjoy trash treasures and refinishing and antique old furniture and help others decorate their home, including mine of course. Just a quick story of mine and GL
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Volunteer somewhere. Doing things to help others who are in need lifts us up as much as it lifts up those we are helping. Being isolated is hard on the spirit and the heart. Also, find a place to go walking. Set aside a time that you can walk every day and stick to it. Being outside in the fresh air and sunshine is also great for lifting the spirit. Find somewhere that is safe but to your preference. In our town we have a hiking/biking trail downtown. It is great. Not too crowded, not isolated. I've also discovered that one of the large cemetaries in our area is great for walking. There is a grounds keeper's office, so it's not isolated but very quiet and peaceful.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2010