Crate training?

I found and brought home a puppy last Saturday. We start puppy classes this week but I have some issues already. She's about 3 months and nowhere near potty trained. Our older dog came to us at about a year old and we had a pretty easy time with her potty training. No crate needed. This puppy however has a long way to go so I'm going to use the crate even though it hurts to hear her cry. I've heard that how long a dog can control the ned to pee/poop depends on it's size and age. She's 3 months and about 22 lbs (lab pit bull mix). About how often does she NEED to go outside? I take her about 4 or 5 times a day but still haven't had an accident free day. I'm sure my other dog could go that often but she's learned to go during her 2 daily walks. So is the puppy still INCAPABLE of holding it or just hasn't learned yet that it's only allowed at certain places/times? Does where her crate is matter for training? ..cont..

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Should it be in the living room where all the action is? Secluded in a bedroom? If she sees or hears us, she cries. Is that motivation or distraction from the goal? Tips? I need to gain a good amount of control before she gets too big.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• how long is she in the crate? with her being that small start by taking her out every 15-20 minutes @ see if that helps
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I just put her in the crate for the first time (besides at night to sleep) about an hour ago. She went pee both inside and outside right before that.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'm still kinda training my puppy. .we put our crate in the living room near the door and we take her out about every 2 hrs unless shes out playing or eating in that case we took her out once before and then once after. for a while she would go her her crate but she has gotten better.
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Take her out 10- 15 minutes after she eats,drinks or plays. I would still take her out ever hour at this point and make sure you are rewarding her when she does go outside. I don't think it really matters where you put the crates. We have one crate in our living room and one in a bedroom. When we first got one of my dogs he would wine or bark when he saw us go by but he was not a puppy and has a deep loud voice. We had to keep him from waking our daughter up so we would cover the door of his crate and that made a differance.

If your dog is going in the crate then it is probably to big. She should only be able to stand up turn around and lay down.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• First of all make sure the crate is not to big for the dog or they will relieve themselves in the crate. With our new puppy (10 weeks) we take her out about every hour at this point, also after playing or about 5-10 minutes after eating. As soon as she is taken out of her crate is another time that we take her straight outside and make sure to praise or offer a treat for going potty outside.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 8:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My pup is 14 weeks and I take her out every hour except I pull her food and water around 8 pm and she goes out once a night...BUT if once they eat you have about 10-15 min to get them out after they eat.
    addisonsmom3794

Answer by addisonsmom3794 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Our puppy is 11.5wks old. She is also being crate trained. She hasn't had an accident in the house in about 2wks and is starting to actually go to the door and sit/whine when she needs to go out. I take her outside every hour when she is running around the house. She takes her naps and sleeps at night in the crate. I take her outside as soon as she wakes up. I also take her outside about 5-10 minutes after she eats. If your puppy isn't on a feeding schedule, I think that should be the first thing you do. At her age/size, she should be fed twice/day, but three times is okay if that is what you prefer. It will make it much easier to know when she'll need to go outside. For the most part, puppies should be able to hold it for as old as they are in months plus 1 so your pup, being 3 months old, should be able to hold it for 4 hours, but I would still take her out more often than that if you are home with her.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My 6 month old lab goes outside between 6-8 times a day. When he was 3 months old I would take him out about every hour on the hour. When we had to leave he went into the crate and would not leave him for longer than 3-4 hours at a time. He has only had 1 potty accident and pooed a couple times because he was having bowel issues. But I would just get familiar with the puppy and learn the cues of when she needs to go potty. Good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2010