Do you ever roll your eyes at the sexism in kids cartoons?

I was watching "Oliva" yesterday and the mom was cooking and running around her 3 lil piggies while the dad was sitting at the kitchen table reading his newspaper. (Okay so maybe they just did not draw him doing the dishes later.)

In the original Disney's 101 Dalmations, the guy and the dog discover they are living in a messy, filthy house so they decide its time to get a wife. Ugh.

In Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer, Rudolph runs away, the mom says she is going to look for him, and the dad says..."No. This is a mans job."

LOL I know I sound so bitter, but Im not. I just happen to notice these ridiculous things.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Entertainment

• I derfinately notice it, it bother's me some when all of the characters are boys, or 90% boys. I researched it for my final project for my communications degree in college. It seemed like a fun project and I was working babysitting for two families afterschool and on weekends, plus I lived at home and have a much younger brother, so I was watching cartoons a lot anyway. I was only watching the newer cartoons and noticed that although the "children" characters weren't as stereotypical, the adult characters were. It was interesting and fun. I was asked to present it at some symposium but I didn't want too, I was too shy and I just wanted to be done with school. (Yes I was a shy communications major, probably the only one!)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I notice it all the time and it bugs me too. But we have limited DVDs and no cable so it doesn't get in the house much. I also see it in our children books a lot =(
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Nah, some of it makes me giggle lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yea I notice.. but i guess i notice more the sexual/ more adult stuff hidden in cartoons. kids depending on age may or may not "get it" but it is THERE...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think its just entertainment and who cares cartoons are not meant to be a moral compass and way too many people get offended by cartoons.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2010