help please

I am trying SOOOOOO hard to get my house clean! I spent 2 hours this morning playing with my dd (full attention on her!) and now i really need to do some work. I am trying to get her to play by herself but she won't....I tried giving her colors...she doesn't want to...I tried letting her watch a movie...didn't want that either...any ideas of something to keep her entertained while i clean??? BTW I live in an apartment with no yard...and also she dosesn't like "helping" me clean

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• A lot of the time, I have to do it while the kids are napping. Perhaps prep her, let her know that your going to spend 15 minutes cleaning, talk to her the whole time your cleaning, play with her for 10 minutes. Do another 15 minutes, while keeping her engaged. I know it's hard, but it's worked for me!

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• How old is she? If she's small put her on a carrier while u work. My ergo holds up to 40lbs n works out my butt :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• she is 3 and 1/2
    Anonymous

• also, maybe try rewarding her with a 'special" treat if she lets you clean a bit. At 3 1/2, she should be developing some self control ( my ODS is almost 4).
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yeah her behavior is something i am REALLY struggling with...I worked 60 hour weeks for the first two years of her life and now i am a SAHM and so i am having a lot of problems with us both adapting to the new situtionl...she has NO self control lol
    Anonymous

• Try reading the book " the incredible years". I recently did a workshop based on the book and it really helped my relationship with my kids. Unlike a lot of books, it doesn't focus on discipline, it focuses on building your relationship with your child, learning how to talk to them and relate to them and once you're on the same page with your child, makes it so that you rarely have to discipline.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Use non-toxic cleaners (home made is best) and let your daughter help.

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I HAVE THREE DAUGHTERS ALL GROWN NOW BUT I GAVE THEM EACH A DUST CLOTH AND LET THEM GO TO TOWN. PUT ON SOME MUSIC AND HAVE FUN. THE CLEANING MIGHT NOT COME OUT THE WAY YOU WOULD DO IT BUT IT'S FUN WHEN THEY START ENJOYING IT.
    CRAZYMOM930

Answer by CRAZYMOM930 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• A wet cloth to dust furnature is good, or let her "wash" your plastic ware in a sink full of suds. GIve her pots and pans and let her "cook"
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010