question about the 2010 Census

This year the Census Bureu is asking that homosexual couples that consider themselves married whether it is legal or not check the married box on the census form. I have heard A LOT of people complaing about it and saying that its not right but, have had no one explain to me WHY they care...so anyone out there that thinks that is wrong please tell me why...cuz i don't get it !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It isn't right because if they are NOT married they aren't married and shouldn't be able to claim that they are for the governments pleasure. I think that info will be used for a different purpose having to do with gay rights. I am so tired of the whole issue.
    Anonymous

• anon- What other purpose COULD they use it for other than gay rights??? I am glad they are doing this because i think they need an actual number for how many couples in this country are being discriminated against!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• But, if gay marriage is not legal, then they SHOULDN'T BE ASKING HOW MANY ARE MARRIED, since they CAN'T BE MARRIED!! It is deceitful. But, then, I suppose that is to be expected considering how the activists operate, and the leaders this country has. There are NO morals left.
    Anonymous

• And besides that, the census is supposed to be used to determine the districts for the Congressional representatives, not all this social bs about how many gays there are. And how can they POSSIBLY be discriminated against when it is a crime to even look at them funny any more. I know you will claim they are, but I really do not see it. Do you know who is really being discriminated against? Smokers are. THEIR rights are being taken away left and right. Are you worried about them LOSING their rights? NO, you are not. It does not fit in with the cause of the week. So, until you can really care about lost rights and discrimination, don't ask me to support your cause that I don't believe in. Just returning the favor you gave me by taking MY rights AWAY.
    Anonymous

• Um, no they haven't. Please provide an instance with doc that this has happened. It hasnt.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• urkidding, do you mean that the census is NOT asking gays to indicate that they are married? I hope this is the case, because it would be wrong otherwise.
    Anonymous

• This only came up once- and the speaker was trying to pacify a question. If it were something that was a regular issue, I'd be upset only because it is asking them to note an untruth on a legal document. It is not yet legal for them to be married in all states and the status should not be misinterpreted. It would be the same for a common-law marriage. If you do not have the legal paperwork- you cannot mark it as such.

This, however, has no implication on my views on gay marriage... just legalities of properly filling out a form.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thank you, HIstory, I had heard this from other sources as well, so I was not sure what to believe.
    Anonymous

• Ah who cares. I know single people who refer to themselves as married to their bf or gf. Not a big deal in my world.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The census is sent to find out how many people live in the USA and so they know what areas they live in. They don't need to know if you are married or not. I think the more important question is why they want them to say they are married?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2010