Being that all life on earth is dependent on the existance of females, why is it that the great majority of monotheistic religions have a male deity, in your opinion?

I know that anthropologically males were seen as the "controllers" of the species, and were generally more "powerful" when it came to ruling over tribes or civilizations.

But seeing as how only women could give birth or "create life" why is it that the great majority (not all) of monotheistic belief systems did not include a female creator?

I know there is no 100% definitive answer, I'm only looking for opinions.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have always wondered this too Sabrina, I will be looking forward to see the thoughts of others on this question.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I've wondered this myself plenty of times. It even seems to me that when there is a pantheon of gods and goddesses, there is a male and female creator BUT the male is still the more powerful.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think back in the day when the original writings were done maybe only the males knew how to write and only they were allowed to circulate reading material, woman were like lesser beings.

Anonymous

• I don't beleive God is male. I believe God is female. Mother Earth? Mother Nature? Men just hate to think that women are powerful and control the balance of our existence.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My take has always been that because monotheistic religions all came about in times where women were being oppressed, it has generally been the men who were creating them or writing them down. Because their cultures saw women as weaker or lesser than men, they automatically gave the power to a man. In early "goddess only" monotheistic belief systems we tend not to see this because women were still seen as equal partner. It was only in later years when tribes became civilization that we see men taking control and women being oppressed... Thus, the goddess was oppressed as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I don't beleive God is male. I believe God is female. Mother Earth? Mother

none of those are God
    Anonymous

• I dont think I would like to have a female preacher. Females are too emotional and get very catty. Don't believe me, read around the cafemom for a few days.

As for dependant on females, I think the male seahorse carries the babies. If not the seahorse a starfish or something like that. Also a man can place two buns in a multiple number of ovens. Women can bake usually one, sometimes two and ever so often three buns naturally. There are the occasional flukes of nature but human beings were not meant to give birth to a litter of babies in a box under the stairs.

With an unlimited number of ovens, but limited space in the oven and the ability to make artificial ovens a man has the ability to produce more off spring quicker. Think of it this way, with 1 man and 3 females in 42 weeks you can at least 3 babies 3men and 1 female 1 baby and lot of wasted seeds.
    Anonymous

• oops forgot to answer the question. The Christian religion DOES a female playing a significant role in the story. She is called the virgin mother, that is how Jesus was born.
    Anonymous

• I've never thought too much about this before but here's what I think. For one, you say all life on EARTH is dependent upon females, well God (the Abrahamic God that I believe in) is not bound by the same laws and or forces that we are on Earth. So maybe there simply isn't a need for a separate male and female creator. Also "He" IMO is whole and complete, "He" isn't male or female, not in the sense that we think of them anyway, "He" is both if you want to think of "Him" in those terms. I believe that Christ specifically came to Earth as a Man because during those times men were definitely considered superior to women and a male was more effective in that role than a female would have been. I think people tend to project masculinity onto God for the same reason, historically men have been more powerful than women so people just projected those feelings onto "Him". Hopefully that makes some sense, that's MHO.
    Anonymous

• Holy texts were written by men.  I believe men feared a woman's power of creation. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2010