Duel-theistic or Polytheistic believers...

For those of you who believe in a God & Goddess, or any number of them.
*Do you have a stronger relationship with one over the other(s)?
*And if so do you feel you should "work on" your relationship with the other(s)?

For example, if you have a close relationship with the Goddess, do you feel it's just as important to foster a personal relationship with the God? Or if you believe in a great number of Gods, do you feel it's important to foster a relationship with Gods or Goddesses which you may not feel a closeness too?

And lastly, if you do feel it's important to foster a relationship with them, how do you do so?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think I feel closer to the Goddess simply because Im female and for most of my life it was all about God so now Im taking time to foster a relationship with her as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• As a polytheists I do have a number of close relationships in comparison to the menagerie of deities. I don't feel the need to work on establishing a relationship with deities that I don't currently honour. It would be pointless as there are way too many deities to even give each one a glancing nod. Besides there are quite a few deities that I don't like and would never give honour and worship to. If there is a deity that feels that I should honour them, they will let me know. They have before.
    The way I foster a relationship is to keep Them in mind. I remember Their stories, Their lessons and the ideals that They embody. I try to forger a deeper connect with Them by following in Their life paths and learn Their crafts and trades.  I give offerings and daily worship. I try to live my life in Their honour and remembrance.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Great answers from Amaranth and isabella. The two of them basically said everything I was going to say. Right now, I wouldn't say that I have a very close relationship with any deity in particular, though, because I've changed and I feel that the deities that I was working with before don't have any more for me to learn from them at this time. I'm currently trying to leave myself open to signs from other deities to figure out who I will be learning from and working with next. I have some ideas, and I've reached out, but nothing certain yet. I do feel that it's important to have a relationship with a god and goddess (for me personally), but I haven't felt a strong connection to any particular god yet. I tend to call to the Green Man, though, when working with a male deity.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am close to Bast and i have a growing relationship with Thoth and Sekhmet also. I talk to the almost every day. its funny i was looking my goddes and god for a long time but once i stoped looking they came to me.

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 5:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I believe that having a relationship with one aspect of the Divine is the same as having a relationship with the whole Divine. In other words, I can focus on the Goddess at this time in my life and it does not mean that I have no relationship with the God, or male aspect. I believe that the Divine is all and One at the same time. I believe that I could even focus on a particular god or goddess (Norse, Celtic, Greek, Roman, etc.) and that is also valid, as they are all aspects of the One. I also believe that I can follow Buddhist principles for instance, and the Divine recognizes that as worship too. To me, the Divine is ALL THAT IS. So, whenever I am seeking a connection to the Divine, that connection is valid.

But to answer your question, while I don't feel like I HAVE to cultivate a relationship with a certain aspect.. I might find that at different times I feel closer to a certain aspect, like Nike for instance.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 2:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• *Do you have a stronger relationship with one over the other(s)?  I tend to be more Goddess-focused
    *And if so do you feel you should "work on" your relationship with the other(s)?  Not really.  I spent 18 yrs within the uber-patriarchal Catholic Church, I feel I should almost give the Lady 18 years of focus to balance things out. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• For example, if you have a close relationship with the Goddess, do you feel it's just as important to foster a personal relationship with the God? See answer above.  Or if you believe in a great number of Gods, do you feel it's important to foster a relationship with Gods or Goddesses which you may not feel a closeness too?  Not really.  I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS.  The different names and faces were created by humans, and it's these individual names and faces that speak to people. 

And lastly, if you do feel it's important to foster a relationship with them, how do you do so?  Don't know how to answer that one. 

MamaK88