Cub scouts, question about leader?

Is it alright for a cub scout leader to tell a child that anyone not a Christian is going to hell? during a meeting? My son came home very upset about this because my DH is not a Christian, I am, and we are raising our children to choose their religious/spiritual path. I'm very upset but don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, because Boy scouts is supposed to support all religions. My son is a wolf scout and we are currently going through the chapter "religion" . It covers "duty to God" and encourages the scouts to come up with ideas on how they can practice or demonstrate their own religious beliefs! They are also encouraged to help their church, synagogue, mosque, temple etc . Maybe you need to remind your scout leader of this!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 4:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• sounds like a whack job to me, I'd say something and pull him out if this is true
    prettybaby1

Answer by prettybaby1 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I would ask the leader what was said and why. I'm guessing that packs that are sponsored by certain religious groups might have a "slant" but that is not okay with the Boy Scouts of America. If the leader said something inappropriate, he should either talk to the group and make it right, or be reported to BSA.
    Anonymous

• I am a Girl Scout leader, that was completely uncalled for! You need to call their council and report her!
    Anonymous

• You really need to ask that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• OP here. Sorry Anon :25. I was hoping to get some info about WHO to talk to. The leader is a stuck-up preacher who gives me the willies (if there was ever a candidate for a pedophile, it would be him). I don't want to talk to him if I don't have to (I can't wait to move my kids to another pack at the end of the year). But I also don't think he should be allowed to say those things to children in a non-religious setting. I didn't know if I should try to talk to him, knowing it would just cause a confrontation, or go over his head and straight to the local council office.

Thank you all for the responses. I'm calling council this afternoon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• OP, saw your follow-up post. Sorry your family has had such an experience through scouting. :( Personally? I would first clarify what was said with the leader and let him know you're displeased. Was this at a den meeting or a pack meeting? If it's a den meeting - you could first go to the pack leader. Then I'd take it up with council.

BSUSA does have a faith component (the promise, for example, references duty to God) but it is not specific to a denomination or brand of religion. My understanding is that Boy Scouts takes the same position as Girl Scouts - the use of "God" is to represent any higher power and Scouts should be comfortable substituting their specific faith and/or names in that spot. All that to say, there is no place for specific religious teachings at a Scout meeting unless that den has specifically been structured to be associated with a particular group of boys of one faith.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• ldmrmom - OP here, thank you. It was said at a den meeting by the scoutmaster. Very upsetting. I did call council (though not when I said I would be because we got more information - apparently this same scout master also said that this pack was for Christians only and all others need to find another pack, this really confused and upset our son) and they were VERY upset as that is completely in opposition to the teachings of the Scout Law. The man I spoke with said he was going to talk to the scout master about it. But he also gave us the numbers for some other local packs and we are going to move packs.

I didn't sign my kids up to learn about judging others based on religions beliefs and to learn discrimination because of religious beliefs. I signed my kids up for scouts, and what we teach our children about religion is OUR choice, not that of the scoutmaster.
    Anonymous