Have a question for bio-moms on step-moms...

I'm both a bio mom and a step mom..dealing with my own kids,my step kids and the step-mom to my son.
My step son is graduating from highschool this year.(YAY!) And his dad and I decided to throw him a big graduation party at our house and we asked if his mom would like to go halves in with it...meaning she and her husband,her family, her friends(everyone she knows basically) will be coming to our home.I think its a good idea, the kids seem really happy and excited about it and I'm glad. But I have a confession to make.I'm a little nervous.I've never been in a social situation with her at all.I have no idea how to act towards her.Do I just act like shes a new friend?Do I stay away from her?ANd what about her family?I've heard that her 2 sisters are big gossips and drama queen and I know they don't like my DH so I'm sure they don't care for me.How does one behave in this kind of situation? Help,anybody,please? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Be yourself, make it what it is...all about him. You don't have to kick it at the mall with her, but kudo's on keeping the peace for your sons sake!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• just be yourself just let the day go the way it does don't try to do too much... And it will all come out just fine GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Lock up your financial papers, nail down your valuables and then do the divorced parents dance where you manage to stay on opposite sides of the room at all times while still schmoozing and mingling.

Btw, good on you for doing the right thing. I'd never let my husband's ex into our house. She views our home as her own personal shopping channel. She sees it, she thinks it should be hers, she takes us to court.
    Anonymous

• Have it outside. I wouldn't let them in my home but that's just me. Just be yourself. They are guests at your home so treat them like everyone else you invite to your home.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2010