Have a question for bio-moms on step-moms...(posted in general parenting as well)

I'm both a bio mom and a step mom..dealing with my own kids,my step kids and the step-mom to my son.
My step son is graduating from highschool this year.(YAY!) And his dad and I decided to throw him a big graduation party at our house and we asked if his mom would like to go halves in with it...meaning she and her husband,her family, her friends(everyone she knows basically) will be coming to our home.I think its a good idea, the kids seem really happy and excited about it and I'm glad. But I have a confession to make.I'm a little nervous.I've never been in a social situation with her at all.I have no idea how to act towards her.Do I just act like shes a new friend?Do I stay away from her?ANd what about her family?I've heard that her 2 sisters are big gossips and drama queen and I know they don't like my DH so I'm sure they don't care for me.How does one behave in this kind of situation? Help,anybody,please? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Friendly yet superficial. Keep a gentle distance, but don't seem as if you are avoiding her. You could treat it like having a new friend over, but i would not over do it with the time spent with her. Be your happy self & keep busy with the party & tending to things that needs to be tended to. Keep busy & smile A LOT.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Smile and nod. Treat her as you would want her to treat her. If you're nice and she's a bitch then shell look like an ass, if youre nice and she is you could make a new friend!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 4:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Just smile and be nice to her let this event be about the son and figure out what kind of relationship you are going to have later.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2010