various sects of the Lutheran religion

My friend was telling me she is not part of the Lutheran church a few blocks from her house. They are a different branch of Lutheranism. She drives about 20 blocks to Church. Not too long, but I didn't know there were different Lutheran religions.

what are they? how are they different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As far as I know, there are only two different branches off the Lutheran church. One is Missouri Synod, the other is ELCA. I was raised ELCA. Missouri Synod is a lot more "hell, fire, brimstone" and ELCA is more "rejoice!" type stuff from what I remember.
    Anonymous

• The Missori Synod is more straight back German, no women in high power type postions, strict type of the 3 branches of the Lutheran religion
    ELCA is mor laid back, allows women to become pastors and such...
    The Wisconsin Synod I honestly don't know much about and I did ask my dh and he too doesn't know much of them... can google it...
    I was raised Missouri Synod (have long changed my path), dh is still Missouri Synod...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• WELS, CLC, a couple other little ones I can't think of anymore.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010