Okay,at first the movie title of "KickAss" didn't bother me but now my son keeps saying he wants to go see that movie,"KickAss"

Really, they couldn't choose a more appropriate name? Don't they realize that children get in trouble for cursing, why would they put it out there like that, like its no big deal?
It's so frustrating.Heres my son...who I have worked very hard to teach not to use curse words and now he's questioning me about it...like why do I make such a big deal out of cursing when its all over tv??
Because its disrespectful,you get in trouble at school and church for it,there are far better words to choose from...you just DON'T say those words,okay. lol

Why, why is this okay in todays society? UGH! It's drives me nuts.
Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• you reminded me of a funny story. My grandmother always said if it's in the BIble it's okay to use. My brother and I spent a full summer using damn, hell, ass and Jesus Christ. We got in a lot of trouble. lol. In our house it it's in reference to a movie and such then it's okay to use unless its abused. Such as Can we go see the movie Kick Ass? Or we go to hockey games and chant we're gonna kick the hell out of you. When we get a goal. However my kids know that this is not apporpriate language to just say whenever cause they can. It's a fight you need to make sure the boundries are set. IS it ever appropriate for you to use and if so how? If it's not then that needs to be addressed too. But like pp said they will be exposed to it rather you like i t or not. And they will use it cause it wil be cool to do.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Have you heard how some people even here talk? I really doubt anyone cares because they all talk like trash.
    Tell him to watch his mouth or he will NEVER see that movie. I wouldn't let my kids see it. Just because people in general don't care how their kids act doesn't mean you have to let that crap in your home.
    Anonymous

• My thoughts are that you need to impress upon your son that if you tell him not to say something, he shouldn't be saying it. How can you blame the movie producers for you not being able to control what comes out of your kid's mouth?

If my 10 year old son was walking around saying "kickass" all day, I would show him what "kickass" really means....LOL ha ha ha... It is a joke people.

Serously If you don't want him to say it, then make sure he doesn't. It is your job to be his parent, it is the movie producers job to sell tickets.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Well yeah...duh...sleeping beauty, of course he gets punished for it. He knows he's not allowed to say it.But when the media and our society makes it "okay" to talk like that..of course its going to leave an impression on a child.
    Anonymous

• Anon, don't let media and society raise your child. My 6 year old knows that just because a TV show said it does not make it right. He is even the first one to tell ANYONE to watch their mouths and not to swear. YOU should have the greater influence

Anonymous

• Well, the media and society seem to make it okay for many things I don't approve of, but I can't use that as an excuse to allow my sons to act those ways. It's the old "if your friends jumped off a bridge would you too?" thing. We just have to teach our kids that just because other people are doing it or it's in the media it's not acceptable. It's the start of the process of teaching them to make their own decisions based on the morals and values we give/show them.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Are you people even reading what I said? Of course my kid isn't raised by the media.All I'm saying is that it was a bit shocking that they would call a movie that and then put the preview for it right in th emiddle of the day during children shows. Why are you judging me as a parent just because I don't agree with what they are putting on telvevision? LOL.
    Anonymous

• "But when the media and our society makes it "okay" to talk like that..of course its going to leave an impression on a child."

This is what people are talking about anon. YOU said this. If your child is taking what the media says and useing that instead what YOU teach him then YOU are not doing your part. You don't want that in your home then don't allow it. Don't put up with it. YOU are the parent not a TV commercial. That is the issue. Parents that complain about TV but then do nothing to keep their kids in check. Teach them what they need to know and that "media and our society" thing wont matter. Don't use it as an excuse of what the media makes "okay" YOU are the parent. I have known MANY who grew up in families that do NOT put up for that crap. No matter what TV said their kids turned out just fine,. I have also known many that will NEVER and have NEVER swore. They got it from their PARENTS>
    Anonymous

• Anon:44... please friend me... :D I just love how you said exactly what I meant.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Well, if all of you actually believe that our society and the media that our children are exposed to plays no role whatsoever in thier actions from time to time..then you are dilusion..or still have very young children,lol.
    As parents, we lay the foundation for our children...and such I have done.And I have done well, thankyou very much. I have no control over what type of commercial pops up in the middle of a childs show on television.
    And no, my son will not be going to see that movie.I never said he could.He just wants to..and I think mostly because he likes the sound of the title and it makes him feel like he can get away with something like saying the word "ASS" when clearly he is not allowed to.
    Unless you keep your children locked up in a bubble, they WILL be exposed to our environment, our society and all kinds of different situations in life.As parents we help to set thier foundation, and hope we have given them
    Anonymous