My Teen is pissy about moving

We've had a few rough years, I left my boyfriend of 4 years after my little one was born and moved to another town to live with my parents. after 2 years we decided to try it again, and alas 9 months later its not working. So i have found an apartment and have involved my daughter in looking at it and trying to get her excited - she is down right pissy about it. She will not be changing schools and its only 2 blocks away from where we live now. My ex has started drinking again and has become a complete jerk to us all. I know she hates living with him but not understanding the hate she feels about moving. She even posted it on her facebook knowing i havent even told him I am moving for the fear of what he will do in the time it will take to get into the new place. Any other suggestions on how to make this easier on her.

roxyann76

Asked by roxyann76 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• WTF cares what she thinks. She's a child. Unless she is a contributing member of our society or your household, she has no rights. I would totally not care what she thinks. Children have life easy and they need to realize it won't stay that way. You are the adult, act like one!
    Anonymous

• sounds like you are not moving far enough. she will get over it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• She obviously is afraid for you. I wouldn't push her on it. If it's an abusive relationship then she may know it's the most dangerous time for you. She may be pissy worrying that if you get hurt then what happens to her/? Kids always worry what happens to them if something bad happens to mom. She'll come around.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It is not like you are going to uproot her completely, do what you have to do and don't worry about her, she will adapt.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• ok for the 1st 2 comments - i do care for the mental well being of my child. there are too many kids that are drinking, doing drugs, having sex and sucides to not care! and I'm perfectly aware she is a child but for me not to care what MY child is thinking is wrong. those are the kind of parents who loose thier children to suicides. And i dont see how i'm not acting like an adult in caring why she is acting this way.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Have you ask her why it is upsetting her? Maybe, she is afraid your leaving him wont be permanent and that in a few months you'll be back together again. You are a good mom and should care about her feeling unlike some of the crappy advice you've gotten here ignore the idiots
    Anonymous

• The first comment irritates me a little bit... while children are children you need to care for the well being of your child! Obviously that "mother" does not... poor children :o(
    Anonymous

• Okay....she's 13, she's hormonal and her world is changing yet again. Take her out and have an HONEST heart to heart with her. Sit her down and without being too graphic about things, honestly let her know what is going on and why you are moving. Tell her that while she can be mad (it is okay for them to be mad) at the situation, she cannot spend but a week being mad and wallowing in self pity and after that...she's got to go back to being her normal 13 yr old self.
    Good luck and don't worry about the 1st few comments.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Please spend some time in family counseling. This child have been through drastic changes and her feelings are not being taken seriously.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• you have to sit this teen down and explain the move is for both of your safety,and your doing what is best for you both. your the mother,she is the child- you should know better of what has to be done, and if she has a hissy fit, well she just has to get over it.- explain it,-do it- your the adult. she might need counseling to understand the why,your not explaining it good enough,she is running you. Other way around.
    Anonymous