Should we move 1 month before the end of the school year or should the kids and I stay here without hubby for a few weeks?

My kids are in K and 2nd grade... my 3 yeaar old isn't in school yet. We'd be moving several states away.

maguire708

Asked by maguire708 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• stay
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• stay its easier on the kids, a few weeks wont make a big difference.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• If it's just a few weeks I'd stay, let them finish out the school year and have a new start at their new school in the fall.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Stay and finish, although, nothing happens the last few weeks of school.... either way, they'll be alright.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'd go so he could help traveling with the kids. It would give them a chance to meet their new school mates so going next year won't be so scary. Just tell them it's an adventure.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Stay. Don't switch a kid when there is one month of school left. Let them finish the year.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My sister went through this last year and decided to move during the school year so the kids could get to make some friends before the summer break. It worked out well for them and her
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'd stay. Making new friends will happen next school year. Kids meet NEW kids EVERY school year anyway. Classes are TOTALLY different, and new kids move into district, etc. Let them finish the year with their old friends. As a teacher who once had a student enter May 2, it was NOT cool. He did not adjust well at all.  I'm not saying they all would be like that, but that's who I think of when you pose this question.

Anonymous

• Since it seems to be an option, why not ask the kids how they feel about it? Since there are pluses for either course of action. And if nothing else, Julie, when you read that, if your first thought is "no way, I know they would say A over B or B over A)" then that's probably your answer right there. Yes, my work here is done. :o)

Good luck with the move, either way. I hate this state, I hate this house and I'm not overly fond of the area where the house is, but I think I will rot here before I'll move again.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Stay and finish out the school year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010