Confronting my 18 yr old about a text I read of his.

My son was raised in a Christian home and is starting to run around with the wrong kids. I read his text messages and was wondering if anyone knows what tricker treating is with teenagers? He is actually saying in Oct. the holiday. but it read a little different than that. I may be over analyzing things because other stuff we have learned. If you want to know what your kids are up to just read their text messages. Very disappointing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think it is fine that you read his message since he gave you the phone to read him. So many people think 18 is grown and it's not. You're not grown until you can make it on your own. They want to think the the magical 18 number turns them into adults...well not when you still have to feed them, cloth them, provide shelter, pay for the cars and their cell phones, etc. I think you handled it well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I cant find any info on "tricker treating" pertaining to anything other than asking for candy. Maybe it's something new with older teens? sorry I couldnt help.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i asked my 18 year old and she doesnt know your kids a boy yes you raised them in that enviorment the christian home but you have to trust them to make some mistakes to grow up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• do you think its your place to confront him hes 18 you have to trust you raised him right and just trust him talk to him but you may push him more away for reading the text message weight out the harm and good see if its worth it
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 4:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I know it is private, but could you maybe post the exact message so we could understand the way it was written that you think that he's lying? I'm 22 and still hang out with plenty of younger people (and I have a few friends who aren't necessarily the best people) and I have no idea of any alternative meaning to trick or treating...
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Maybe finding drugs? or finding girls?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Why are you reading an 18 year old's messages?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Um...without reading the message I couldn't say what it was about. I can't see an 18 year old going door to door asking for candy. I have to wonder though why you're reading an 18 yr old's texts? At some point you have to realize that he's not a child anymore. He'll make mistakes still and still has much to learn. But so do a lot of older adults.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• "I can't see an 18 year old going door to door asking for candy."

Just for information's sake, I went trick-or-treating (for candy!) up until I was 20 lol. Me and a group of friends would go out, costumes and everything :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Do you have the kind of relationship with him that you can sit him down and talk to him. He's 18 he's considered an adult. so sit him down and talk to him adult to adult. I'm sure he would have more respect for you if you did that then snooping around, and it could ease your worries if he tells you that it really nothing just boys being boys.
    shoegal

Answer by shoegal at 7:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2008