Are online schools really worth it?

I am thinking about taking some classes online since I don't have the time to go to classes daily. I would like some type of degree, but don't know what yet. I am thinking maybe a degree in nursing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in

• As a former online instructor and an online student, YES. Just make sure the school is regionally accredited, not nationally. Regional accreditation degrees are transferable to all kinds of schools, whereas nationally accreditated are not. I got my Masters' degree online and was working on my Ph.D. when my financial aid ran out. My daughter is now attending High School online. Just watch out....there is a lot of work and you must hold yourself responsible at all times.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 6:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• YES YES YES! I loved my online school so much better than my traditional school. I just wanted to get it done and didn't have to sit through lecture or stupid questions from other people. I give online school two thumbs up!

goodgood

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2010