Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wedding officiant question

my df and i are planning on eloping, we got our marriage license but it needs to be signed. can anyone sign it? or does it have to be a minister? we're not religious at all. we also wanted to say our own vows at this really pretty waterfall and it's a mile up a trail and i don't think any minister would want to hike lol. we live in washington state.

Answer Question

Asked by marilyn623 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Relationships

Level 3 (18 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Google justice of the peace in your area. You can often have someone at town hall "marry" you and sign the license, but they are not trekking up to the waterfall with you. That sounds wonderful. Good luck!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • In our community a notary can sign it but call your local courthouse and ask. The judge or sometimes a clerk at the courthouse can sign it.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • when my ex-husband and I got our marriage license from town hall we were given a list of names who were all a justice of the peace, for a marriage to be legal it needs to be signed by someone with the authority to perform marriages - a minister, priest, JOP, etc. It can't be signed by some random person. Find a JOP, explain that you want to elope and have written your own vows. Whether a JOP charges you is up to them but you can always offer extra money for the hike.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.