How do i start a veggie garden?

I really want to start a veggie garden....what do I do? lol

NatesMommy118

Asked by NatesMommy118 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• For the past two years, I've done container gardening. I have pots that I got from landscapers and nurseries and ones that I've also bought on my own. I sprout the seeds in one of those cheap Jiffy seed starters, then plant them in the pots and let them go. I had a HUGE amount of tomatoes last year- so many we were giving them away. I stuck with containers because it means no weeds. And, if you live in an area that has major storms, you can actually move them so they don't get flooded out.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 6:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• find a good sunny spot. dig it up, either with a tiller or hoe or shovel or something. you can get soil testing kits at places like home depo if you want to test the soil. you can also buy fertilizer. get most of the rocks out of the garden area. decide what you want to plant and make sure you keep pulling weeds often or they will take over. keep it watered and watch it grow!
    Anonymous

• and keep in mind that if you plant hot peppers the veggies near them may be spicy. spicy tomatoes are really good!
    Anonymous

• We start seeds in potting mix about six weeks before we plant outdoors. Research the best plants for your area and soil type.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Start by looking at your yard. Where is the sun? Where would a good location really be? You have to make sure you plant where the sun is, not just hope. Then, put newspapers on the ground, layer, water them down really good. Cover with black plastic, put stones or bricks on top. Wait two weeks, pull back a corner and look under the newspaper. You should have black soil. If not, wait another week. When it is down to the ground, pull up the plastic and the newspaper and you should have a spot to garden. Till that up, figure out what you want to plant then BUY STARTS. In most places it is too late to try for seeds unless they are direct sown.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 7:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• whatkids had a good answer. you absolutely need the sun at least 8-10 hours of good sunlight. also make sure the soil will be able to drain well. start your own compost if you can. if not buy some fertilizer and mix it in before hand. check your local nursery or garden supply shop or maybe even online for the best time to plant, transplant or start indoors on plants in your area. that really helped me out this year. there is a ton of info online and there are many different ways to garden, so take a good look at your yard, how much sun and space you can work with, how much time you have to devote to your garden and figure out what you would like to grow. I 'm doing mostly uncontained raised beds, and a few containers (pots) for what i am growing the only thing that works in pots are bell peppers, lettuce, onion and course flowers and herbs are good too. good luck!!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2010