Has anyone ever tried to put a potato in beans to bring the gas out?

Does it really work? My MIL swears by it...

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No, but I have put them in water, brought them to a boil, then drained the water and added fresh water which I've heard helps. Also, soaking them overnight (if they're dried beans) and then changing the water before cooking. Never heard of the potato thing, maybe I'll try it!

Answer by missanc at 7:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My heart, I beg to differ with you hon, they have the enzymes in them that produces gas once digested...however, when you soak them, put a couple tablespoons of baking soda in and it really does take the gas out. Not all but almost all.

Answer by zbee at 8:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Yes I've done the baking soda before, it really seems to work. Never heard of the potato thing though.

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• She was asking about the gas in BEANS not the anatomy of our body and that's what I was addressing only........

Answer by zbee at 8:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I've never heard that before. If you do it let me know if it works.

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2010