how much do you pay your babysitter?

im getting a babysitter for my 2 kids. boy and girl 8 & 6. I have no idea what babysitters are paid nowadays. we live in new york and the babysitter isnt old enough to drive yet so im sure ill have to drive at least one way per occasion. im not sure how much to pay her per hour. i may also need her over the summer while im working. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I pay home daycare provider $130/wk while I work FT, for ONE kid. If you want someone all summer, full days, you'll need to make it worth her while.

The only time I hired a sitter for a night out, we paid her around $7/hr.

Anonymous

• I have a college student as my sitter. She has her own car, and is CPR certified. I pay her $10 per hour. She has her own car. I have three kids. 11, 6, and 4. We live in North Georgia.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• oh yeah... and I always pay her $10 whether she keeps all the kids or not. Sometimes she just has one or two at a time, and other times she stays with all three of my kids. That was the deal that I offered her when I hired her. I probably could have negotiated lower rates when she doesn't have all three kids, but I wanted to sweeten the deal a little since she is a in-demand baby sitter.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Im in so. Cal.... my sil is in NY and she usually pays more than I do for anything and everything. We pay $10-$12 hour for a young kid. So Im gonna guess about the same or up to $15. Are you NYC or Long Island ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The last time I paid a teenager to watch my children was last summer...they were 7 and 3 and I paid her $7/hr. I live in North Carolina.

I have an in-home provider that I pay $125/week for my 3 1/2 year old (I pay if there's or not---unless she is on vacation then I don't pay). My (now) 8 year old is there for one hour every morning before school and that's $10/week. On non-school days her rate is $20/day for the 8 year old and I only pay if he's there. I don't always use her for non-school days as I have a friend that I swap babysitting with--she also has an 8 year old boy so it works out great!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I pay our sitter $160 a week to work 3 or 4 days every week from 3p to 9pm (in my home for one child.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2010