How do YOU make Strawberry Shortcake?

I think I'm missing something here.
I have the litte shortcakes, I cut up strawberries,put a couple tsps sugar over them and let them sit over night. Put the strawberries on top the shortcakes, topped with whiped cream..but it just doesn't seem quite right.
What am I missing?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• sounds perfect to me - one thing I sometimes do though is put a smear of strawberry jam on the shortcake where the strawberries are going - it helps to moisten the shortcake, and ... well.... it tastes yummy!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• That's one way. You can use anglefood cake. You don't have to use sugar in the strawberries or wait overnight.

My kids used to like it with the Jiffy box corn muffins, vanilla yogurt, and mushed freshed strawberries.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I do it how you described except I use more sugar and just stir and let them sit for a dew minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
    Anonymous

• oh and you can add a smidge of vanilla to the cream before you whip it, mouth watering now,
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I use scones. I love this recipe from Sweet Savvy http://dld123.com/sweetsavvy/recipes/recipe.php?id=R81

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• That's how I do it too, sometimes I use vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I have a recipe from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook for shortcakes that are like big soft, slightly sweet biscuits. I bake those, split them open fill them with strawberries that have been sugared enough to make syrup, put the top on and scoop more strawberries and syrup over the top, then add whip cream.

However, one day I made big soft snickerdoodles, and I had bought strawberries. My youngest son put a big snicker doodle in a bowl, and topped it with strawberries, and whip cream. And that has become a family favorite. The cinnamon on the snickerdoodle works great with the sugared strawberries. As a matter of fact that's what we had for dessert tonight, with our company!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• sometimes I do it the way you did it, but after I sugared the strawberries and let them sit awhile, I mash them with a hand potato masher to make it more like a juicy syrup.
    if I'm really lazy I make a butter cake from scratch and just mix diced strawberries in the batter, the put whipped creme on it when it;s done baking. easier for the baby to eat :-) and it won't get soggy that way in dh's lunch.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I usually use sponge cake or angel food cake. As for the strawberries I cut up the strawberries, add sugar and some orange juice and stir until I get liquid. And add whipped cream.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• when i make it i don't sugar my strawberries, we eat them fresh, so i just wash and cut them, spoon them onto whatever cake i find at the store (right now i have some vanilla loaf cake...nothing fancy) and top with whipped cream. my great grandma used to sugar them and make like a syrup and that was good, but i reallly like plain old fresh strawberries
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010