Karate?

My dh and dd do karate....I am unsure of whether or not I want to join, but I did sign up for a free womens self defense class... Anyway, this evening my dh wants to know if I want to do karate with him (he really loves and wants me to, too!) lol My question is, has anyone or does anyone do karate and lost weight doing it. My dh says its great for cardio and weight loss. I need to lose about 35 lbs. I just started WW and I'm working out, but I wonder if adding in the karate would be even better?? Any thoughts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Maybe I should add that they style is Isshyn-Ryu...
    Anonymous

• When I help my dd practice I burn quite a few calories. I have a bodybugg and it tracks every calorie I burn every minute of the day, so I can see just how many I burn when I help her. I am probably going to drop my gym membership and begin Karate myself. I spend more time at the studio than I do at the gym- so why not, right?
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Martial arts is a great addition to any exercise or weight loss program. You're dh is right, it's great for cardio and nearly everything else. They always begin class by doing exercises, sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc to warm up. You really should try it, you'll probably love it. In our Do Jang, there are a number of families that take classes together and really enjoy themselves. Oh and if you do, don't call the place a Do Jang....that's korean (our son is currently doing Tang So Do), you'd be doing Isshyn-Ryu which is Japaneese and the place is called a Do Jo. :)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I studied Taek Won Do for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. I was in the best shape of my life when I did it!
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 6:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• OP here, thanks ladies! I am going to start tonight with him and when I take the self defense seminar they are offering I may also sign up...:) I'm excited!!
    Anonymous