Please tell me my son isnt the only one going through this??

When he gets upset, he will hit, slap, or even head bang at me. We are working on it all, but it breaks my heart to see him doing this. We are a very loving and affectionate family towards our son. I was just wondering is anyone else's baby is doing things like this. He is 15 months old and can talk a lil bit but not enough to tell us exactly whats going on.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son with autism did this so you're not alone. Make note, when it most often occurs, what happened just before. I'm betting it's frustration over not being able to make his needs/wants known. Look into the PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) to help alleviate some of the frustration.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It's totally normal. He's just trying to express himself and you are doing your job of teaching him that it's not an appropriate way to communicate. Once he gets more words it should stop, especially if you are consistent in letting him not that it is not okay. It's just another developmental stage :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• my 11 month does this and when i tell her no no she pays no attention 2 me so it must b normal
    sfewell09

Answer by sfewell09 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My son who is 27 months now started doing this at about 16 months. I would tell him it wasn't nice to hit anyone and it WAS nice to hug or kiss people. I would then hug and kiss him. If he hit me again I would hold his hands so he couldn't hit us and repeat not nice. If he did it again I would take him to his room and walk away after telling him that when he was nice he could come back out and play. After about a week he stopped. then a few months later he started to bite! I would do the same thing as hitting but after the second time I would bite him back. not enough to leave a bruise but enough to get him point across!

Another thing that really helped was sign language! He knew and started using basic signs like Milk, Water, More, Daddy and Mommy at around 10 months. When he learned more he became less agrerssive b/c he could express himself and let me know what he wants. At around 15 months he started combing signs. GL!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2010