Screeching, whining, and tantrums?

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have a 17 month old running around under foot... I'm getting agravated with the screeching, whining, and tantrums for EVERYTHING.... i'm also having trouble getting her to bed without a tantrum thus having to stay up from 7 AM til well past midnight.... please what did you do to help control your toddlers unwanted behaviors!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• jealous already? maybe the toddler realizes you are PG & just wants your attention.. if she is truly having them for no reason not hungry, not tired, not hurt.. then ignore her tantrum don't give it any attention at all not negative or positive. Allow her to scream, wine etc.. when she sees thats not how to get your attention she'll stop. if she gets violent by hitting her head hurting herself or someone else then put her somewhere safe to have the tantrum.. when shes done & acting good then pay attention to her. Also let her know you love her..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• The child is probably reacting to your energy from the aggravation. Just hold her or sing to her. I used to lie down with my son and hold him and hum until he fell asleep. It just made it easier than fighting with him.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I agree with the post on ignoring the behavior all together. I'm 35 weeks pregnant with a 23 month old (who has already entered the terrible 2's!) I'm sure he can feel that there is a difference with mama, but he gets a lot of attention. I completely ignore the bad behavior and go over board rewarding the good behavior. Some days are harder than others, but I guess that is what parenthood is all about,trying to be as consistent as possible. It's too easy to "feel sorry" for your child and think "Oh she must be sad or feel left out...." and want to "baby" her. I'm sure that is not the case, so stick to your guns and set boundaries early. Try to make a lot of extra cuddle time when she's behaving well.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 10:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Its normal at that age. I have an 18 mo who is the same way and I am not pregnant. I get down on her level and let her know in a firm voice that her behaviour is not ok. If she keeps it up she goes into her time out corner for 30 seconds. If we are in public I find a empty wall or corner for time out. Usually once is enough, sometimes I have to do it twice. Just remember that at that age they don't have the words to tell us what they need or want so elemenate the basic needs, diaper, thirsty, hungry and tired. If none of those things attribute to the behaviour then time out is very effective.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2010