My Cat

is 18. she is ill- very ill- she has had eosinophilomilitis all her life but in the last 6 months turned really bad with no ability to fight infection ... I want to be humane and put her to sleep-- the vet says it is the right thing to do.. I am Catholic and really have a problem with the un natural taking of a life-- I am tossed up- let her suffer it out until the end or put her to sleep. This Cat is a part of me. I love her like I love my kids. WWJD?

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 9:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry that your cat is doing so poorly. It's awful to see an animal suffer. I think that intent has a lot to do with these situations. When you look with your heart full of compassion, what does your heart tell you? I practice Buddhism and am a strict vegetarian... however I have had beloved pets put to sleep when they were suffering and had no quality of life. I made that choice out of love and compassion, for them not to suffer purposelessly, and to have a peaceful death in the company of their families. I can only speak for myself, but I believe it was the right choice for them, although it was very difficult for me. Best of luck with a hard decision, and I wish you peace.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am not a Christian, but I am a Cat LOVER and putting your religious views aside *WOULD YOU WANT TO SUFFER AS SHE IS DOING?* Put your religious views aside and do what is humanely RIGHT now what you THINK is religiously right...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• *not* (sorry for the fast typing error)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Even though animals can be a part of our family, they are still not human beings, so euthanizing them is not a sin as it does not fall under the "Thou shall not kill" commandment. I'm so sorry about your cat. I'm going to be in a similar situation, too, as we've had our dog for 11 years and his health is going downhill.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• well the bible did ask for animal sacrifice
    Anonymous

• I have two cats that I love dearly and I would NEVER allow them to suffer.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• anon @ :23 thats low...

OP I was torn about putting my dog down as well this last May ( will be a yr next month. ) but it was for the best.. he was loosing the ability to walk and he was 17 yrs old. I also had a cat put down, he was nothing but skin and bones due to abdominal cancer and we just couldnt stand to see him in misery.. he was 14 yrs old
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'd put her down, as hard as it is.... I wouldn't want her to suffer so badly. Poor kitty... I love cats, and it would be terriably hard, but you would be doing her a favor. I wouldn't be able to stand her hurting so bad every day.
    Anonymous

• Remember the bible does give us superiority over animals. You are not putting down your mother you putting your cat out of misery
    Anonymous

• I have had to go through this many times in my life and it is never easy. I am a cat lover, always have been. Growing up we had cats all the time and i dont mean just one or two lol. I currently have 6 cats. As much as it would hurt me I would put them down, I equate it to this......Many humans have the right to sign a DNR they dont want to suffer they dont want to be brought back over and over and only live hooked to a machine, most humans sign DNR's because they are in pain and know it will not get better. I wouldnt want to live like that and I wouldnt put my beloved pets through it either. 18 years is a long good life and you really dont want your final memories of your pet to be of sickness and pain, and honestly wouldnt just going to sleep be a much more humane way for your pet to pass than to hurt and possibly die a painful scary death? Do what you thinkis rght but I would choose the more humane way.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2010