Is it ever acceptable for your child to curse at you?

Im asking because I read alot of post on here, especially in the teen section where teenagers are cursing and threatening their parents and the parents are asking what should I do? Now Im not bashing those who thinks its ok, i just want to know why you thinks its ok for your child to do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• No it's never OK
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• it's never ok. nor is it ok for the parent to curse at the child.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• what jennifer558 said
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think that it should not be incouraged. Swearing is just foolish and it does not accomplish anything at all. However, I think that parents need to prepare for the heated moment with the B word comes flying across the room. I would be prepared for that day and then when it happens just let it go and talk about it when all is calm so you don't lose it when it does happen because it always happens in some way. But talking about it after is what I feel can curve/stop it.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 10:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am 29 years old. I was upset about somethinng big yesterday and venting to my mom, and cursing. Not at her, not at anyone, just blowing it all out so I idn't take it out on anyone .... she said she wasn't gonna listen to me curse and hung up on me. LOL
    Anonymous

• No but it's understandable to get angry and blurt something out that you didn't mean to say. I had it happen once with my children and I stopped what I was doing and calmly asked if that is really what he (or she) meant to say to me? Each one rephrased it and never did it again.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No. It's disrespectful to the parent, and shows that the child has no understanding of respect for their parent or themselves.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No, I expect my children to treat me with respect, even when they are angry. I treat them the same way.
    Anonymous

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! and at 18 my son better not think he's too big to go over my knee. that kind of behavior is unbelievable. i *once* called my mother the b word and my face hurt for two days, i was 15 and it taught me better than to do that again!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I have a 15 year old SD... she cusses sometimes, and it's ok with me. I don't mind if she curses while talking to me, but I do mind if she cusses AT me, especially in anger.
    For example, I would be ok with her saying something like, "Yea, my teacher gave us a ton of homework plus a project this weekend. Everyone in my class thinks it's total bullsh*t."
    I would NOT be ok with, "F*ck you!" or "You're full of sh*t!"
    KWIM?
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2010