Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school ?

I kinda asked this before - but I need to re word it. I moved to florida this past summer and my son started school there, I couldnt fina a job so we came bak here (VA). We were staying with a friend at first and so he goes to the school with her address. We got an apartment not far, but not quite in the right school zone ( I tried I really did), but I have still been bringing him there and not done a change of address so they dont find out. I don't want him to have to move schools again. It's not fair to him. I also don't know if I will stay in this apt when the lease ends in Dec. (long story) so I wasn't gonna move him next year. It is close and I take him with out a prob, he also goes to karate after school which he would loose. I have to do a change of address thing now with the post office(another long story) so can I do it to the local po box or what can I do to keep my son in the school? Thanks!!


Asked by mommymeg03 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 13 (1,235 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • I just asked for a waiver and was allowed to let my children stay. I had to provide transportation but that's all.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • We are in thesame county, and very close. I just don't want him to have to keep moving schools, or to loose his karate after school care. My poor kiddo has had enough transition allready! :(

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • I am not sure why you feel you have to transfer him, but you won't be able to use a p.o. box for an address with the school. Just don't say anything and let him finish out the year. It's almost over anyway.

    Answer by my2kids312 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • I am pretty sure that is illegal. You are supposed to pay tuition if you send you child to a school that you don't live in the district of.

    Answer by MrsKline at 10:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • The pointis I DONT want to transfer him!
    But I now HAVE TO do a change of address from my friends house at the post office, which means they will likeley find out. I am not saying that on the paper work at the school they will have a po box as our address...but when you chnge your address at the post officeand mail gets forwarded the school finds out.....
    I dont want him to have to move schools this year or next. I want hi to stay where he is to avoid more transistion.
    Does anyone know how I can do that??

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Oh lord.... you don't pay tution unless it is private school. The point is being missed.
    I am in the same county, I am FIVE MINUTES from the school. I don't hink one school is better than the other....It is about the amount of transition my son has had to go through, and not wanting him to have to move for THAT reason.

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • admckenzie - THANK YOU!
    Who do I ask the county or the school office?

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Sometimes you do have the option of paying tuition to a public school if you aren't in that district. You can in some schools in Indiana.
    As at the school for your district's policy about staying for the rest of the year. You will probably have to transfer him for next year, though.
    Here schools don't get a notice of forwarding (or if they do, then it's filtered through and no one sees it) so they wouldn't necessarily know that you've moved.

    Answer by indymom22 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • I lived five minutes away from the school I went to for 11 years. I lived in another district though-we were right on the city limit line. My mom had to go to the school board and get me released from that school district into the other one.

    How would the school find out just because you change your mailing address at the post office?

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • I know other people have been caught that way. Because when they mail something it gets forwarded and people get word of the new addy and its in the wrong zone.. its so dumb.

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2010