What is wrong with people?

I invited a friend and her 3 year to my son's second birthday. My son got a bubble mower and was playing with it. The 3 year wanted it and when my son picked it up got it. Then anytime was son got near he flipped out and was throwing it around in the air. So finally I got up to take it from him and he was fighting me. His mom was watching the entire time and did nothing except tell him to give in back. Never even got up! So after I took it away they left bc the little boy was tired... Why don't people control their kids anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• You tell me Hon. Mine are grown and on their own. I visit the mall and want to cry when I see the way women are raising these little brats. Ugh. Counting and time outs.... OMG, really? Brats... I can't stand to hear kids screaming and throwing fits in public. Makes me want to beat them myself.
    Anonymous

• because they are rude heifers.
    Anonymous

• Come on now...we all have off days. Don't be so quick to pass judgement.

And to the anon who says moms should "beat" their kids when they have public tantrums-maybe that works for your kid, but I won't be beating my kid, in public or in private. Instead of judging the poor mother, who was at least TRYING to control her child, why not show a little bit of compassion and understanding? Surely you've had at least ONE day when your children's behavior was less than stellar?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• @anon11:35-- i count for my girls... my girls have a VERY hard time transitioning due to our past... counting gives them a chance to take a deep breath and get ready for change. if i don't count, my oldest (who saw the most) goes into a blind rage, at which point, she will hurt herself and others. nothing to do with how i discipline. i would rather nip it in the bud before i have to deal with not only a raging 4 year old, but also the people that think they know what is going on.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Yeah, anon, I would rather my kids make their own good decisions out of respect and intelligence rather than fear of being whacked. So cry your fricking heart out, doesn't make a lick of difference to me. I know I'm doing right. We do counting, time-outs and my very favorite, taking away privileges. My kids aren't afraid of me, and may actually grow up to NOT resent me. Crazy huh?

OP, I feel you. Some people are just lazy and stupid, and don't know how to be good parents. That is frustrating.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I do not think we as parents should have to "control" our children. I think we need to show then how to behave and when a situation like this crops up, as it usually does with children then the parent needs to step in and redirect their child to another toy to play with or if they are tired & cranky to take them home. She shouldn't have just sat back & let you handle the situation. That wasn't right but let's face it, not all parents are the same.
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Flower.... what makes you think that all parents who spank their children beat them? There is a huge difference between discipline and abuse. My parents, and the parents of pretty much everyone I know spanked their kids at one point or another.. I don't know what gives you the right to call them lazy or bad parents. And not one of us resents our parents for disciplining us when it was called for. Granted spanking may not be right for everyone, but it is not your place to call those who do, lazy or stupid.

OP-- maybe the child was tired, or an only child, I know my daughter is an only child and it was hard for her to get used to sharing or taking turns when she started school and going to friends homes. I agree totally that the mom should have gotten up and done something, whether scolded him or explained that it was your son's gift.
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 1:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• As a mother of a child who has thrown many tantrums in public I do do something. I do not ignore it and I do give a appropriate responce. I think that I can speak for many moms when I say that we are truly doing the best that we know how for our children. We ALL want them to be great adults and wish that people whould be a little more understanding that some children are more challenging than others.
    Bethesmith

Answer by Bethesmith at 1:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• when my 2 yo flips out, I get right down on his eye level and shoot him "the look". I count to five in my head and say "stop". I don't break eye contact - hell, i don't even blink. it almost always works, he'll stand there and look away and look back and look away and then his little bottom lip quivers and it's all I can do not to laugh and hug him. when he gets himself under control, I give him a hug and say thank you and tell him he's a good boy and kiss him till he giggles.
    so far, this is all i've had to do during a tantrum. but when he's older and knows better and flips out and refuses to calm down, i'm gonna do what my parents did - spank that diaper (as long as he hasn't pooped, that is :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Personally, instead of wrestling with someone else's kid, I would've said something to that mom about telling her child to please play nice with the toy or to leave the toy be since it was "xx's" new birthday present and you would like for "xx" to be able to break it himself, thanks. Or maybe, as I was trying to take the toy away, I would've yelled back at the brat's mom, "hey, you want to take care of this or should I just spank him since I'm here?". I'm sure that would've gotten her attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2010