Do you beleive that everyone is a little bit racist? (Not meant for drama)

I was at work today and some woman was talking on the phone and she just flat out said. "Well hunny, like i've said before, everyone is a little bit racist."

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think everyone has their own bias of some sort.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think she was quoting Avenue Q
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I dont think so. I think racism is something thats taught. With that being said, I didnt grow up in a racist family, a racist neighborhood and their was no racism in my schools. I did grow up in a 100% black community but I honestly never heard any kind of racism.
    When I went to college i went to a HBCU in a really racist town, Colonial Heights, VA. Boy. People had confederate flags on their porches, on their cars and said all kinds of nasty stuff to the college kids. it never phased me, I just always thought it was ignorant. I even had a white girl i worked with and had become really good friends with that i could come to her house but i wasnt allowed to eat at their table. her parents would have a fit. again i thought her parents were ignorant.
    now I live in Georgia. I havent personally encountered racism but its here, but it doesnt bother me. I accept all and i raise my daughter to accept all. (Cont)
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Im also a teacher in Georgia and I have had some kids say some mean things and it is not tolerated in my classroom. at all. I think racism is stupid and its ignorant and its not acceptable.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No I do not. I can honestly tell you I am not racist. I am Hispanic and I have been lucky to have never felt discriminated against either. I do agree with Skepticchick about the bias comment though. More in the sense of the way some people dress, or who they choose to associate with. I try to not let that fog my head though!
    Anonymous

• yep, I'm "ignant" at times. I don't care for race, I am often HUMAN intolerant.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 11:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Hmm... that's a deep question. I'd have to differentiate between race and culture. There are tendencies specific to certain cultures sometimes that can get under my skin. For example, in many cultures men are more open about staring at women, in some cultures everyone is half an hour late, and some cultures don't value honesty. But RACE is different. Trying to examine myself here.... Do I expect something different from someone with brown skin than with white skin?? I think only to the degree that their skin is associated with their culture.... And frankly, I do expect something different from a philippino than an Indian, only because I know their cultures. Is that wrong? I don't know.... Having said that, I'm married to a man of a different race. Well, now you got me thinking about the differences between race and culture here....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think people confuse basing their judgment on someone's behaviour with skin colour. This also applies to stereotypes.
    Stereotypes were created for a reason; because it is usually based on what the people have done or do.

If I were to say that my neighbours are loud, gaudy people, who don't watch their kids, let them run around and destroy property, always get in fights and hang around all hours of the night dealing drugs, would you think I'm racist because they all happen to be black?
    Anonymous

• i guess. I'll admit that I hate ALL illegals (from any country) and the ones that refuse to learn english
    Anonymous

• See, now I don't even like how I worded that..... Let me try again! My husband and I are of different races. :) Same culture, different colored skin.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2010