tips for driving stick

I just got a truck that's a stick, I know the basics and I'm doing ok for a newbie I think. but I would like some extra advice from you that drive stick.

the only decent advice I've gotten so far is avoid hills lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband taught me to drive one. He took me to a hilly spot, and when I could stop and start on the hill, I was good to go. It all takes practice. You do have to find the balance between the clutch and the gas. And be sure you know the gears, so you don't put it in reverse when you are driving! Or grind the gears. Try to not dump the clutch, either. If you can find a place with hills, that there really isn't anyone around, go practice. Once you get used to it, you will have lots of fun. Then, when you drive an automatic again, you will feel unbelievably lazy ;(
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yeah here's a tip... don't ever hurt your left knee or foot and your right arm or hand! I don't know how many times I felt screwed because I was injured and couldn't drive because of it. I loved driving stick, but now I've mellowed with age and have an automatic.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Make sure you have your clutch in at all times while shifting gears or else it will shut off or stall and please try not to grind the gears...lol you know that sound like you don't have the right gear in ugh I hate that sounds. GL
    I love stck I had a 96 Mustang it got me 3 tickets in one year but Imloved it I use to love to downshift it OMG I love that feeling. I have kids now so now I drive a SUV.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Remember you can always just push the clutch back in if something isn't going right.... that's what my Dad told my on my first lesson in his old 5-speed that was soon to be mine! IT was the best advise really! Relax too, you'll get used to it real quick. Also if you can find a hill, slight on even to practice on that might help. Just practice finding the balance point of when you let the clutch up gently and how much you have to depress the gas pedal to keep your self from rolling backwards... if that makes sense. Ohhh and those tailgaters... you can roll right back into them at a stop sign, then say see why you shouldn't get so close!!! Er, umm, so I've heard!! LOL ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Lol butterfly I know how you feel with the downshifting! I have a 98 ford contour SVT and its awesome! I have also had three tickets in that thing! My advice is either hold it in all the way or all the way out. Dont hold halfway down or you will burn the clutch. Listen to your motor. If you know how to read rpms then watch how far you rev. Check your handbook on your vehicle get info on the way your car works and find out what mph each gear reaches. Such as my gears are 1st-35mph, 2nd-53mph, 3rd-83mph, 4th-115mph, and 5th-143mph. My rpms hit rev limiter at 7,000. Read your
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• oh and on a hill just give it a little more gas than usual. Listen to the motor and learn the sounds of when to shift.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Just keep practicing! I took my driving test with a stick. I was so nervous, I pulled out from a stop sign in 3rd gear! I didn't stall out, though, amazingly! I've never tried to do that again, though.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Never listen to the light that tells you to shift.. Just shift when you feel it's right..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• you don't need to clutch, when the rpm's are right, it will just slide in......saves wear and tear on the clutch.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 6:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i had to practice up and down the driveway before i could go on the road. it is a balance between the clutch and gas, let up on one as you press down on the other. i think you should go find a hill for practice! have fun!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2010