Do you hate being a stay at home mom?

I have lately realized that I am not fit to be a stay at home mom...My kids get on my nerves, I hate cleaning and only like to cook when I'm in the mood. I am really lazy when I am at home. When I work it seems that I am way more productive and less irritable. I feel really guilty for feeling this way but...I feel that it is making the bond with my children suffer. Please tell me I am not alone. I hate this!

rachelmm007

Asked by rachelmm007 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• You need to work outside your home. It will clear your head , help you feel productive, give you a paycheck, and make you a sweeter mom to you kids. Not every mom is meant to stay at home. It doesn't make you less off a mom to work outside the home. Guilt comes side by side with motherhood, LOL. I am a SAHM and although it we have our rough days I know this is what is best for OUR family. I do plan on starting my MBA as soon as our baby turns 3. Do what us best for you and your family and don't feel guilty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• you know why you hate it?? its because your not doing anything...when you start taking your kids for a walk and taking them to the library or the park you will see how great the feeling will be....just get up mommy and have some fun and this ride will be much more fun and you will enjoy every second of it.the reason why you think it will be better at work is because you will be under rules and the real problem here is you are not trying to discipline your life you like it better when other do it for you (Ex "a job")
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Sorry I wish I could agree but for me it has been a great experience, I was a working mom and I was so tired, rushed and overwhelmed all the time. Once I became a SAHM I was calmer and didnt feel like i had too much on my plate. As of this week I am going back to work for myself and I can take my kids with me and I only work 20 hours a week. Financially it makes sense because my kids are getting involved in more and more activities and the cost is getting higher, that is the only reason I decided to start working again but I dont feel like I will be a working mom because my youngest will be with me and I will only work when they older two are at school.

Maybe you could find something similar a part-time job that works around your family schedule but gets you out of the house, or even try a volunteer position? It sounds like you just need to get out of the house a bit more and find something that makes you happy :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sometimes but I know what you mean...I only do what I have to do to get by and save the rest for later and sometimes later doesn't come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I like being a SAHM, but I find that I get out of it what I put into it. I don't like just hanging around the house all the time. Neither do the kids, and they get grumpy and bored and it brings out the worst in all of us. I find we are all a lot happier when we have a fuller schedule, so we do regular playdates, swim classes, storytime at the library, etc. I get very down when we are cooped up for any length of time (like if one of the kids is sick) but I really enjoy it as long as we stay busy and active so no on e is bored.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with Freela!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I love being a SAHM. I have been one for 23 years. When my sons (who are now 18-23 w/the older 2 out of the house and the younger 2 being Seniors in high school) were little life was busy with trips the library, park, childrens museum, etc. and then we homeschooled for 9 years which was a whirlwind of constant activity. There wasn't a lot of time to get bored & to dislike being at home. Since the last 2 started school in 2004 I have stayed busy with the usual housework and laundry but I also have hobbies that keep me busy during the day and last year I started keeping a friend's 4yo while she goes to school. He's 4 and we stay busy with hands on learning activities, story time at the library, walks around the village we live in, etc.. My time flies by. He starts school in August and then I'll be on my own and hubby and I will be staying busy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Sorry can't help you! I enjoy being a SAHM!
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I was a SAHM for 4 years and I enjoyed it but I hated it to. I always had a child around. When DH got home it was nice to have an adult conversation. But as it was I got to see my girls grow and learn. I took them to the park or to the pool and we had a great time. We did art and craft projects, but it was very difficult at times. When they started pre-k I was glad to go back to work. It had pros and cons the pros out weight the cons for me. Maybe getting a part time job a few days a week would make you feel more productive and give you a break. Best of luck.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I love it!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010