At what age did you start potty training your kids?

i have a 13 month old baby girl and i wanted to know at what is a good age to start potty training her?

delialayla

Asked by delialayla at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 21 months i started my kiddo...but they are all different
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am a sahm and i had people telling me my kid had to start potty training at 2.... why????
    I did and it was a mess... she wasnt ready... it made her upset, me upset, ruined my furniture... stupid move!

I stopped and waited until she was ready... it was one week before her 3rd bday... she trained in 2 days... and never had an accident and never wore pull ups not even at night.

My son, I now knew and waited until he was ready... it was about a month before he turned 3... took one weekend no accidents no pull ups at night.

My 3rd child was ready at two... she potty trained in about a week... and she was fine from that week on.

Moral.... wait until YOUR CHILD IS READY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i started right before her 2nd birthday..thats when she showed signs of being ready..so 3 days of trainin her, and she was perfect!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son is 3 now and were trying to get him into it for some reason he just has no go for the potty.
    mother_crow82

Answer by mother_crow82 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I started trying to potty train him at 2 years old because i was getting pressure from everyone to do it... But it just wasnt the right time for him he was interested but not enough to get trained.. So i kept the little potty in the bathroom just incase he wanted to try which he occasionally would. At about 28 months he was alot more interested...so I decided to get him a pack of pullups (for bed time) and boys underwear instead of diapers, he was so excited to have big boy panties and to go potty like a big boy that it took maybe a week. He's 33 months now and we're working on peeing like a man! lol
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 2:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Pretty much everyone I know told me to wait until 3. With my first son I bought him a potty and had him sit on it around 21 months or 2 years old, I don't even remember any more. He loved to sit on, but would never do anything in it, then he would get up and run off naked and pee on the floor or carpet somewhere. EVERY TIME! So the potty went away and didn't come back out until he was almost 3.
    My daughter is 2 1/2 now, I got the potty out for her around 18 months or so and she did the same thing my son did, so it went away again. Now she is seeming SO ready to potty train, telling me every time she is wet or taking off dirty diapers as soon as she goes (which is disgusting when they are poopy). She has even put on her own new diaper, but she just absolutely will not use the potty. She sits on it and says "pee" we've sat and sang songs and read books, it's not working, I don't know if she's really still not ready or what.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We got dd a potty around 18 months because she showed interest and would go sporatically, but we started the real potty training just two weeks ago (she just turned 2). Its been going great. She told me "no more diapers" and that was it. She has had a few accidents but very minimal. 13 months is way too young IMO. I don't like the early training methods that really train the mom to run your baby to the potty. They need to be able to tell you, though I think if they need help with their clothes that's ok still. Also, nighttime dryness is physiological, so you can't teach it. That means that part is going to take longer and most moms I know will diaper at night even after they're daytime trained. Before dd told me she was ready, I thought there would be some magical combination of signs to watch for and I'd have to take the initiative. Turns out the magic was waiting for her to be ready! You'll just know.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• 19 months with my first, 17 months with my second. I wouldn't have started quite so soon with my second daughter but she was asking to go like her sister. We've been happy with the results. Our little one still has some accidents and needs help getting on and off the potty, but she's getting good at telling us when she needs to go and it's only been 2 months. Different people have different opinions, but personally I don't mind putting a little more work into it as opposed to waiting until it's a cinch at age 3 or 4.
    Anonymous